India is a Space power now !

Status
Closed
Oct 2013
Canada
You don't take us Indians, our political system, our good democratic set up of the government seriously, do you? The govt.in power today is a sensible govt. It is run by professionally competent and mature technocrats and administrators headed by lawmakers of a high caliber. It can be understood that Pakistan and the PRC are jealous of our hard earned successes in spite of severe problems but the Western people being sarcastic was not expected. Your prejudices could be allowed to recede into the background for a day---at least.
China is jealous of India

+1 like

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
Thanks for the compliments which are obviously from the heart. We Indians are living in a terribly hostile neighborhood. At the same time we are faced with the urgent requirements of a developing economy complicated by the fact that the eradication of poverty across our huge population is easier said than done. But such technological achievements are not to be sniggered at with contempt and sarcasm as some western posters here have done. We Indians are happy that our armed forces are now better equipped defensively. Even our loony Congress party desperately fighting a losing election has congratulated our scientists.
What does politics have anything to do with this achievement? Makes no sense. Indian space program was setup and running pretty good while Congress party was in power, wasn't it?

Not sure about India's armed forces. It was Pakistan that shot down an Indian fighter plane and captured the pilot in the most recent conflict.

Last edited:
Sep 2015
India
What does politics have anything to do with this achievement? Makes no sense. Indian space program was setup and running pretty good while Congress party was in power, wasn't it?
Both technical capability and political will was required for this test. this is what Ex-DRDO chief said

"DRDO had made presentations in this regard during the regime of UPA--II as well to then National Security Adviser Shivshankar Menon. If the nod had been given at that point of time, we would have demonstrated this kind of capability earlier."
"These discussions were held in the presence of all the concerned authorities. Unfortunately, we did not get the response to go ahead. Since there was no response from the government and no necessary financial resources were provided, we did not go ahead with the programme."

Read this news article 'Made presentations on A-SAT during UPA-II, did not get response,' says former DRDO chief VK Saraswat - Times of India

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
caste system, hindu nationalism, british colonial bureaucracy, common law, corruption, colonial traditions, its feudal lords keep the country backwards.

china was never impacted with colonialism, chinese also developed their own systems, they got rid of bureaucracy which was impediment in the way of development.

if british era colonial system was addressed, i dont think that hindu nationalists would even had the support they have today, it was because the system didn't work and large number of indians remained uneducated that it enabled hindu nationalists to win so much popular support, and now the mainstream indian politicians are wondering how to tackle this mess.

i think the biggest british weapon was the ones i listed, its bureaucracy, illiteracy etc which unfortunately no south asian govt has been able to challenge.

until and unless these colnial era remnants are not disposed, i dont think any country in subcontinent is going any where.

regards
It makes no sense to blame colonialism today for India's failings. India got independence from Britain more than 70 years ago. Isn't it long overdue that Indians take responsibility? India's slow rate of change is directly tied to the inherent culture of its people. It is hard for its people to make the cultural changes necessary, to fit into the modern world. Pretty much as in the Muslim world.

Last edited:
Apr 2018
India
The logic is quite simple. Go ahead and show the world that we have it before some ASAT Capability Limitation Treaty or some other crap like that comes up and forever makes it a monopoly of a few early developers.

Also note that going by what the DRDO chief said last year, India has this capability since 2012. Understandable given that we have long running BMD programme. So no, there is not much 'political achievement' in this breakthrough other than giving DRDO the green light to go ahead.

However, two things must be noted. Firstly, I haven't yet seen anyone from the ruling party beating trumpets to this. Some hardcore followers (otherwise known as 'bhakts'- faithful) will do that on social media but that can be ignored and there is no cure for that ailment. But really it's the opposition who (a particular, quite interesting lady:zany: to be exact) is making quite a fuss about it. Secondly, although the timing was certainly politically motivated, this is a quite benign issue. I mean, its perfectly okay to me if a government makes a scientific breakthrough an election issue. It's up to the people to decide whether to vote based on this or not, they're not idiots now are they (if they are then they deserve scumbags).

BJP was lambasted left and right for politicising a sensitive incident like Pulwama and subsequent chain of events. That was little short of a crime and if they lose a few votes for that they absolutely deserve it. But blaming Modi for informing the nation in an adress of this event is like blaming a wicketkeeper for making a false call on a close inside edge or LBW. It's juvenile.

Sep 2012
India
caste system, hindu nationalism, british colonial bureaucracy, common law, corruption, colonial traditions, its feudal lords keep the country backwards.

china was never impacted with colonialism, chinese also developed their own systems, they got rid of bureaucracy which was impediment in the way of development.

if british era colonial system was addressed, i dont think that hindu nationalists would even had the support they have today, it was because the system didn't work and large number of indians remained uneducated that it enabled hindu nationalists to win so much popular support, and now the mainstream indian politicians are wondering how to tackle this mess.

i think the biggest british weapon was the ones i listed, its bureaucracy, illiteracy etc which unfortunately no south asian govt has been able to challenge.

until and unless these colnial era remnants are not disposed, i dont think any country in subcontinent is going any where.

regards
How is Hindu Nationalism coming in the way of the developement of the country? If Hindu Nationalism means being proud of one's Hindu religion as well as being proud of our country India, what is the hitch ? Hindus constitute 80 % of India's population. Is it wrong of them to be proud of their country and their religion?

Sep 2012
India

Not sure about India's armed forces. It was Pakistan that shot down an Indian fighter plane and captured the pilot in the most recent conflict.
The Congress party was in power when in 2012 the Govt.of India did not give the go-ahead for the anti-satellite test nor did the provide funds for the DRDO. And one IAF Mig 21 too shot down an F-16 plane. This was done by Wing Commander Abhinandan whose plane was also shot down in the dogfight.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
How is Hindu Nationalism coming in the way of the developement of the country? If Hindu Nationalism means being proud of one's Hindu religion as well as being proud of our country India, what is the hitch ? Hindus constitute 80 % of India's population. Is it wrong of them to be proud of their country and their religion?
Nationalism is not being patriotic. It is chauvinism. It is bad for any country. Hindu nationalism is basically Hindu chauvinism. It is even worse.

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions