India is a Space power now !

Status
Closed
Mar 2016
Antalya
The manifestation of Indian culture is quite funny in this thread. Multiple people are accused of being jealous as well as being "Pakistani". To these people, someone who is not impressed by India is a jealous.
I never realized so many people thought so poorly of India. I've never been there myself, but I've never had an unpleasant interaction with any of the many Indians I've met living in America. They've always been extremely kind, respectful and polite, even inviting me to share a meal at a Hindu temple with them during one celebration a couple years back.
They are vastly over-represented in the American computer technology and medical fields, which means they must be doing something right as far as STEM education goes in India.
When I worked for the American Red Cross we ran a blood drive at the headquarters of Intel, and I remember thinking if I didn't know better I would have thought it was an Indian company. Close to fifty percent of the employees were Indian.

I also have a tremendous amount of respect and appreciation for the Hindu spiritual tradition. Reading the Bhagavad Gita and some of the other ancient Indian texts changed my spiritual life forever, and helped me start a regular meditation practice.

As for this missile test, it doesn't seem too surprising to me. Given the Indian prowess in STEM, and the hostile geopolitical position they're stuck with, sandwiched between Pakistan and the PRC, it is only natural that they would be pursuing such weaponry, especially since China demonstrated the same capability more than a decade ago.
Indian "prowess" in STEM is a myth. The reason why certain parties are overrepresented in STEM is because they are cheap labor. An average Indian engineer is willing to relocate, and work for less because what is being offered in India, a poverty-ridden country with poor living conditions, is much worse compared to what is being offered in USA or somewhere else. Let me also add that there is an inside joke in IT that bad code is attributed to Indians. Indian engineers are infamous for lack of competence and quality. I am not sure if this is true or not, I do not think I have worked with one before but there is that.

This is coming from a software engineer.

Oct 2013
Canada
The manifestation of Indian culture is quite funny in this thread. Multiple people are accused of being jealous as well as being "Pakistani". To these people, someone who is not impressed by India is a jealous.
The only insecurities that I know that cause people ask, "ha, are you jealous?" is when a girl is trying to grab her man's attention by hanging out with another man, or begging other men to tag her on social media so her ex can see them.

While India is making strides, a great many posts are making it feel like some projects are done solely to flaunt to China and Pakistan out of national insecurity and an inferiority complex. But we know that isn't the case. Just pettiness and gloating over the success of others who happen to share a national identity in a lot of posts we see.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Nothing like a good exchange of insults, is there? Why can't we just that different countries have their various good points and bad points (often interconnected), their various rivalries, and their triumphs of the moment and difficulties of the moment?

Oct 2013
Canada
Nothing like a good exchange of insults, is there? Why can't we just that different countries have their various good points and bad points (often interconnected), their various rivalries, and their triumphs of the moment and difficulties of the moment?
'cuz the at least-subconcious-level motive behind OP's post is to flaunt this to PRC and Pakistan. He literally asked people if they were jealous of India, and asked "are you Westerner or Pakistani, are you jealous of India?"

Mar 2016
Antalya
Mate, when not only the start of conversation but whole thread is filled with "are you jealous" lines from various Indians, coupled with insults directed at me, sorry, I have to respond to that. I know it caused inconvenience for the readers, and derailed the thread but I had to respond to that.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
The original post ran: "Our Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced today that India has successfully tested a missile which destroyed a satellite orbiting in a low earth orbit. India has now become the 4th nation after the USA, Russia and the PRC to develope this capability. The Prime Minister assured that no nation be worried about this capability as it was meant for a purely defensive role. India has become a Space power now. He congratulated our scientists and technocrats on this achievement." That seems to me to be an expression of legitimate national pride, and it was only when people posted snarky responses that it all turned into a slanging-match. Some of those responses made legitimate points, but many were made in a contemptuous way that was bound to elicit a response in kind.

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions