India Strips Kashmir of Special Status

Status
Closed
Aug 2017
USA
The Indian government has revoked much of the part of its constitution (Article 370) that gave Kashmir its special status. Below are a few links covering the situation.

1) India strips disputed Kashmir of special status
2) India Revokes Kashmir’s Special Status, Raising Fears of Unrest

What do you all think of this situation and how it will unfold? How will other regional players in South Asia and beyond react? Do we expect any parallels with Israel or China in terms of how Kashmir will fare? Discuss below.

Last edited:
Aug 2017
USA
The word "boom" springs to mind.
I was thinking much the same thing. I don't know as much as I should about the region but I am unsure how India will manage subsequent insurgency in the region. I am also curious to know what analysts think of how Pakistan will react to the situation.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
Revoking Kashmir's special status is done through a presidential decree, and not through the legislature, so it could be tested in the Supreme court. The special status was given to Kashmir to keep the region peaceful, but that has not been the case, and on the contrary it has only become more restive. As a result there is point in keeping the special status.

I believe India has taken the right step. That is what Indians generally want. Prepare to deal with all the repercussions whatever that may be. Pakistan is bankrupt, and if it meddles into this it would only make its situation worse, and its currency worthless.

Reactions: Futurist

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
It is not really like it could get much more violent.

Last edited:

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
They have resources to crush it. If external forces wouldnt shake situation.

So India decided that it have power against external pressure too, i think.
I think they had that before as well. I think they tried one approach and that didn't work

Apr 2018
India
I was thinking much the same thing. I don't know as much as I should about the region but I am unsure how India will manage subsequent insurgency in the region. I am also curious to know what analysts think of how Pakistan will react to the situation.
There's nothing 'subsequent' when it comes to J&K insurgency. It has been a hellhole for 30 years now with ups and downs. There's nothing anyone can do that might surprise us and/or that might make a difference.

Reactions: Hoosierhiver
Apr 2019
India
It is not really like it could get much more violent.
Actually only around 15-20% of state is violent and it became so by rotten policies of previous governments. Infact they always turned blind eyes on separatist tendencies of Kashmiri leaders. Kashmir has so many political parties for such small population. Their leaders having sent their own chidern at safe places, keep Kashmiri youth detached from the reality.
I don't think their intention was ever to make Kashmir 'independent' but to keep this region hostile and reaping personal benefits from various sources. Kashmir can't survive on it's own. Kashmir has only two choices first is to peacefully co-exist with India to revive it's economy, protect it's unique culture, practice their religion peacefully, follow a secular consititution and be part of collective progress. Second is become a sharia state (like it was till yeasterday), hate kaffirs, kill kaffirs, hate their own heritage, praise foreign semi-nomadic barbaric invaders like Pakistanis, keep their youth unproductive and become hiding place of terrorists.
I think Indian government can solve the terrorism problem to large extent if they can convince the locals that first option is better than second option.
With USA withdrawing from Afganistan, Pakistan forever supporter of jihadis and China at it's doorsteps, India is going to face even more security threats. Moreover India is going through silent demographic changes in many places(we have a state where literacy rate fell down ! and another state in which a community managed to multiply themselves almost at double rate than other communities !) which is signalling to even more upcoming internal security threats. So it's best to keep J&K under watchful eyes of center. J&K will not be full state. Many businessmen are eager to invest here so economic progress will directly result in more peacefulness.

Government has also bifurcated the state. Now Ladakh region will be separate union territory. Good for them, the peaceful ladakhi were burning in vain.

Status
Closed