Indian history books biased toward islamic kingdoms.

Apr 2018
Mythical land.
I remember nothing of marathas,or vijayanagara,it seems like according to indian CBSE books that in medievel and early modern period only muslims ruled india.

Apr 2018
India
I remember nothing of marathas,or vijayanagara,it seems like according to indian CBSE books that in medievel and early modern period only muslims ruled india.
Which CBSE textbook exactly are you talking about?

Themes in Indian History Part II has an entire chapter dedicated to Vijaynagara empire.

NCERT covers only major chapters of Indian history and those too in nutshells. Plus they put equal emphasis on culture, society and economy to that of political history. The class VII book Our Pasts Part II focuses on medieval India and it puts as much information as possible (given the book is only about 150 pages and they put huge illustrations to make a boring subject interesting) about everything of that time. That includes Marathas, Rajputs, Jats, Bengal, I mean all of them. Class VII textbook is entirely dedicated to modern Indian history. Then for Class IX and X India and the contemporary world Parts I and II are also about modern history. The class XI book is all about heritage.

Now the granddaddy of them all, Themes in Indian History is not a chronological history of India. It focuses only on certain aspects of Indian history in details.

https://www.books4jobs.com/ncert-books-history-class-6-12-ias-examination/ - Here you'll find them all for free.

Apr 2018
India
I didn't go to any CBSE or ICSE school. For me it was the glorious :lol: West Bengal State Board old syllabus. But I must say that our history books were incredibly detailed compared to NCERT books. And our schools, like CBSE need not stringently follow any one textbook. Govt sponsored and private schools are at liberty to choose their books as long as it sticks to the curriculum. After finishing everything in Class VII, for the next two years we once again used to read Indian history right from the very beginning to 1950. There were dedicated chapters for every period of Indian history like Rajputs, Sultanates, Mughals, Marathas, Palas, Senas, Guptas, Mauryas, Vijaynagara, Bahamani virtually everything. But this came at a huge price.

For any average student those tomes with page after page after page of mundane facts, names and DATES:crying: were more nightmarish than sleeping with the demon of Annabelle. Therefore we carefully selected about 10% of the entire content that may come in exams (confidently skipping whatever had already come in the year right before) and gulped it down, then puked it on the exam sheets and afterwards applied Jhandu baam on our right wrists. The greatest celebration came after 10th Board Exam because afterwards for science students, NO MORE HISTORY.

Btw, that was then in the late 90s and early 2000s. I don't know what they are doing now.

So you see, for schoolboys, why NCERT is better.

Last edited:
Apr 2018
Mythical land.
Which CBSE textbook exactly are you talking about?

Themes in Indian History Part II has an entire chapter dedicated to Vijaynagara empire.

NCERT covers only major chapters of Indian history and those too in nutshells. Plus they put equal emphasis on culture, society and economy to that of political history. The class VII book Our Pasts Part II focuses on medieval India and it puts as much information as possible (given the book is only about 150 pages and they put huge illustrations to make a boring subject interesting) about everything of that time. That includes Marathas, Rajputs, Jats, Bengal, I mean all of them. Class VII textbook is entirely dedicated to modern Indian history. Then for Class IX and X India and the contemporary world Parts I and II are also about modern history. The class XI book is all about heritage.

Now the granddaddy of them all, Themes in Indian History is not a chronological history of India. It focuses only on certain aspects of Indian history in details.

https://www.books4jobs.com/ncert-books-history-class-6-12-ias-examination/ - Here you'll find them all for free.
marathas are mentioned as passing mention,at max 2 paragrah dedicted to them,while we have entire chapter dedicated to mughals and delhi sultanate.
that seems unfair,obviously when you give passing mention to such entities then its unfair.

i have not seen any chapter dedicated to vijayanagara,can you specify.

SSDD

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
India
I didn't go to any CBSE or ICSE school. For me it was the glorious :lol: West Bengal State Board old syllabus. But I must say when our history books were incredibly detailed compared to NCERT books. And our schools, like CBSE need not stringently follow any one textbook. Govt sponsored and private schools are at liberty to choose their books as long as it sticks to the curriculum. After finishing everything in Class VII, for the next two years we once again used to read Indian history right from the very beginning to 1950. There were dedicated chapters for every period of Indian history like Rajputs, Sultanates, Mughals, Marathas, Palas, Senas, Guptas, Mauryas, Vijaynagara, Bahamani virtually everything. But this came at a huge price.

For any average student those tomes with page after page after page of mundane facts, names and DATES:crying: were more nightmarish than sleeping with the demon of Annabelle. Therefore we carefully selected about 10% of the entire content that may come in exams (confidently skipping whatever had already come in the year right before) and gulped it down, then puked it on the exam sheets and afterwards applied Jhandu baam on our right wrists.

So you see, for schoolboys, why NCERT is better.
You from West Bengal? :)

Anyway whole issue of changing syllabus that RW wants that is to make Indian children more familiar to their culture, which I find ironic considering they have not shown any interest to make Indian languages important in education. How can Indian children be proud of Indian culture if Indian children is taught in English school? Speaking 50% in English, 50% Hindi is not sign of being proud of one's heritage. Now of course we can forget our vernacular languages and yet be "proud" of Indian culture.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/ichr-dissolves-advisory-panel-comprising-romila-thapar-irfan-habib/articleshow/47303073.cms

After coming of NDA rule, some things were done.

Last edited:

SSDD

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
India
marathas are mentioned as passing mention,at max 2 paragrah dedicted to them,while we have entire chapter dedicated to mughals and delhi sultanate.
that seems unfair,obviously when you give passing mention to such entities then its unfair.

It also depends upon which class we are talking about. We cant expect kids of 12, 13 age to study Maratha victories over Nizam, Rohillas, Chola manuscripts do we? Dont know about ICSE but CBSE was considered rather easy board, gaining 90% marks in CBSE was considered rather easy compared to WB board where even bone breaking labour would not give you 80%. chief reason of CBSE being easy was its short syllabus.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/education/news/ncret-syllabus-to-be-reduced-by-half-javadekar/articleshow/63057224.cms:lol:

Last edited:
Apr 2018
Karachi

''dehli'' sultanate, mughal empire also based in dehli, what does that teach you?

one who controls dehli controls india

maratha were bunch of rascals, got heavy influence of muslim rule in india and thats how they wielded their power in the first place they took opportunity to back stab their own rajas

as for vijayanagar, what is their llong lasting legacy to india? zero,, also got heavily inspired by the muslims and got trounced by muslims like a bug, had zero industrial output and freely gave away indian diamonds to the portugese for few of their bucks, only few hindu temples, nothing much else, india didn't get one bit inpired by the legacy of either of them.

Last edited:
Apr 2018
Mythical land.
''dehli'' sultanate, mughal empire also based in dehli, what does that teach you?
one who controls dehli controls india
by any chance is your facebook profile name "haji naveed"??

maratha were bunch of rascals, got heavy influence of muslim rule in india and thats how they wielded their power in the first place they took opportunity to back stab their own rajas
you are free to hold your opinions,however wrong they may be,but in a forum like historum when you are making such a vulgar and quite frankly laughable claim you have to back that up with atleast one proper source.
please don't quote you next door maulana,he is not a valid source.

as for vijayanagar, what is their llong lasting legacy to india? zero,, also got heavily inspired by the muslims and got trounced by muslims like a bug, had zero industrial output and freely gave away indian diamonds to the portugese for few of their bucks, only few hindu temples, nothing much else, india didn't get one bit inpired by the legacy of either of them.
if you think vijayanagara have no lasting impact on india then you either have no knowledge of indian history or you simply a trolling,i do not have time for this.

Similar History Discussions