Indian Space Mission to Mars

Status
Closed
Sep 2012
India
Today morning the Indian made space module successfully entered the orbit of Mars.A grand interplanetary shot, successful on its first try. At a cheap outlay of only $ 75 million, and using indigenous technology, I felt pride in my country after many, many days of news ofpolitical corruption, misgovernance and violence against women. We are proud of this as part of the world community, too. Your comments, too.

Jul 2010
Georgia, USA
I congratulate India on the achievement. Maybe one of our rovers can get a picture of it passing in the sky for ISRO to hang on a wall. :lol: (kidding)

Sep 2012
India
I congratulate India on the achievement. Maybe one of our rovers can get a picture of it passing in the sky for ISRO to hang on a wall. :lol: (kidding)
Thanks, dear respected friend ! The Mars Rover and our space module have already exchanged messages. May be this moment will be a turning moment in our national history after Independence. Although a minor feat as compared to Chinese, Russian and US efforts and successes, it is a good beginning. I will be more satisfied if we achieve a stable population, more industrial growth, more literacy and the decrease pf unemployment, a better use of water and our forests and grasslands, better performance in International sports events, total eradication of diseases like T.B.,Polio etc.
Oops the list grows long !!!

Last edited:
Jul 2010
Georgia, USA
Thanks, dear respected friend ! The Mars Rover and our space module have already exchanged messages. May be this moment will be a turning moment in our national history after Independence. Although a minor feat as compared to Chinese, Russian and US efforts and successes, it is a good beginning. I will be more satisfied if we achieve a stable population, more industrial growth, more literacy and the decrease pf unemployment, a better use of water and our forests and grasslands, better performance in International sports events, total eradication of diseases like T.B.,Polio etc.
Ph, the list grows long !!!
Milestones such as this can only raise India's international profile. Space technology and exploration is, perhaps, the gateway to establishing cooperative efforts between nations that can lead to mutually beneficial relations in other fields. I believe each successful step along this path can serve to provide more resources to combat or correct the issues you speak of. India does not need aid or considerations with strings attached. India needs solid one-for-one exchanges with other countries that serve to broaden the economic base that serves to better the lives of it's citizens though methods only India can determine.

Sep 2012
India
Milestones such as this can only raise India's international profile. Space technology and exploration is, perhaps, the gateway to establishing cooperative efforts between nations that can lead to mutually beneficial relations in other fields. I believe each successful step along this path can serve to provide more resources to combat or correct the issues you speak of. India does not need aid or considerations with strings attached. India needs solid one-for-one exchanges with other countries that serve to broaden the economic base that serves to better the lives of it's citizens though methods only India can determine.
The relations that our new Prime Minister is trying to build with Japan, Vietnam, China, and other neighbours like Nepal, Bhutan will certainly bring rewards to all. Now let us see what happens in the visit to USA.

Last edited:
Jun 2013
--
Congratulations! An impressive and prestigious achievement by the Indian nation. I dare say India has shown the whole world its true potential as a country gifted with top-notch scientists.

Nostromo

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Queens
Today morning the Indian made space module successfully entered the orbit of Mars.A grand interplanetary shot, successful on its first try. At a cheap outlay of only $ 75 million, and using indigenous technology, I felt pride in my country after many, many days of news ofpolitical corruption, misgovernance and violence against women. We are proud of this as part of the world community, too. Your comments, too.
Good for India and the world. Despite corruption and other negative factors that country never lacked in intelligent people. I hope to hear more good news coming from India :cool:

Nov 2011
The Dustbin, formerly, Garden of England
This really is a great achievement and I fully understand the pride of Indians in being "up there" with four "mega-powers". Although I can't help wondering about priorities (toilets, health, etc.) and cannot help to start working on gags on lines of "first it was the call centres, then Jaguar-Landrover--next NASA?". At these prices the whole US space program can be sub-contracted; apparently the India-Mars mission cost less than the budget of the film "Gravity".

Oct 2012
Oops the list grows long !!!
It's a bigger accomplishment than you might think to have done it for a mere $74 million, we can't even put a satellite into orbit for that cost, or at least we couldn't until SpaceX recently came into the market. The new space race is one to lower the cost of launches and this was a promising move in that direction, so congratulations to India.

And scientific achievements can do a lot to unify a nation and encourage nationalism, which in turn can have a positive impact on internal stability and social problems. I'd say that $74 million was well spent.

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions