Indifferent about the Judeo-Christian Bible

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Wang Chong claims that humans are products of nature rather than any deities; "天地合氣,人偶自生” (humans are born of nature) is his own words.
Buddhism isn't interested in origin at all; Buddha called it "the unknowable" or non-issue.
Wang Chong was way ahead of his time in many ways that many consider him a "time traveler" (穿越者); he was never a mainstream thinker during his time.
Wang Chang was wrong about other things though. He rejected the idea of a spherical.sun and moon, and spparently of the idea that the moon blocked the sun during an eclipse, which were the tight explanations. While ahead in many areas, he was actually behind in a few other areas.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
Wang Chang was wrong about other things though. He rejected the idea of a spherical.sun and moon, and apparently of the idea that the moon blocked the sun during an eclipse, which were the tight explanations. While ahead in many areas, he was actually behind in a few other areas.
The ancients usually have their limitations; the real history is not similar to certain time traveling webnovels, in which science and technology can be pushed more than 1000 years ahead.
All literature has merits and deficiencies; full trust is misleading at least, and hazardous at worst.
If we treat all literature with due doubts and true understanding, we can adopt the best of them.
Back to the Christian Bible here:
Its teachings are far from unique or superior; we can almost find equivalents in other literature.
If the story of crucifixion is fictional, I can bash it for lack of imagination; humans have done something way worse than crucifixion, such as reducing the whole body to grounded meat (肉醢), boiled alive, being eaten alive by animals, and way more.
If the story of crucifixion is historical, it would be merely symbolic for redemption.
Talking about sins is groundless, and it is an invention by the early clergy.
Yuval Noah Harari's works are way more realistic about humanity than the Christian Bible is.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
There are very solid logical arguments for the he moon and sun to be spherical, so Want Chong being wrong was a huge miss on his part, and shows up he inferiority Want Chong compared to his Greek contemporaries in such areas,.and makes it questionable that Want Chong's views on the creation of people actually resulted from rational logical thought rather than personal biases, which seems to his grounds for the the correct views of the solar eclipse which he rejected. There was limted evidence to support any theory of on the world and people were created in Wang Chong's time, and his views had no mo e aftual evidence at the time than other views. There were good logical arguments and supporting observations for the correct view of the spherical shape of the Moon and the causes of eclipse which Want Chong rejected.

Getting back to the Bible, it has a logical organization lacking Chinese religious t
And Buddhist text, and seldom found in Chinese philosophical text for that matter. It starts with the creation of the world and the Bible ends with the destruction and recreation of the world, a logical structure lacking in Chinese religious literature. It also manages in just a couple pages manages to convey more fundamtal key ideas about the religion than Chinese text manage to convey in an entire manuscript about their religion. In just the first couple of pages of Genesis, the following key ideas about their religion:

1. The god the Christians worship is the creator god of the universe, not a trivial statement, since most gods worshiped like.Zeus did not create the world

2. The world was deliberately created out of nothing, in contrast to most creation myths like the Norse mythology where the world was accidntally created out the body of a dead giant, or semen, or like the world being created from the dreaming Brahma, which no intention to create the world.

3. The world was created in an orderly fashion, not just randomly created.

4. That mankind was the peak of creation, and unlike any other being, was created in the image of good, that is with the ability to rationally think and create, to logically plan. No other religion so clearly shows the reality of that people have mastery of the world. People are unique in their ability to ponder and think about the origin of the world and its end.

5. That the material universe is good, which is fundamentally at contrast with religions and philosophies like Gnosism, or Buddhism, which is why Buddhist influenced societies like China did not create modern science. Since the creation reflects the mind of the creator, it becomes worthwhile and almost a religious duty to study the world.

That is a lot of important concepts to pack into just a page.

The Gospels affirms the worth of children and women in a way that few other religions do, and none or the Chinese ones. The importance of children appear nowhere in Buddhist writings and teachings. Nor do Chinese religions teach that the grounds for divorce are the same for both men and women, and men don't have special rights for divorce that women don't have. Muslim Chronicles of the Crusaders were shocked by the freedom that their women had, and the lack of jealousy when women talked to other men. Nor did European Christian socieites insist on rendering women cripples by binding women's feet as in Chinese societies, or insist that wives should burn themselves alive when their husbands died (but did not expect husbands to do the same) as was the case in India.

And the Bible is full real historical.details lacking in Chinese religious texts. The denarius was a day's pay, and did have the likeness of Caesar on it. Pontius Pilate was governor of Judah, and ancient sailing ships did have figure heads on them. The Assyrians were a foce to be reckoned with and they did lay siege to Jerusalem, and the Babylonians did capture Jerusalem and the take it's king into exhile, and Cyrus the Great did conquer the Babylonians, and allow the people's the Babylonians carried away to return home. While such genuine historical details are usually lacking in Chinese religious writings.

VHS is indifferent to the Bible, that is ok, since I am even more indifferen to the works of people he praises like Wang Chong, who rejected the sound arguments for the causes of the eclipse and spherical shape the sun and moon for no valid reason other than typical Chinese conceited. Compared to other religious writing, the Bible is far more logically structured and manages to get its points across far more economically in words. Lots of common people still actually read the Bible and study it, to while the same is not true for the sacred text of many other religions. And the imagery and poetry and stories of the Bible still powerfully speak to common people today. The Parable of the Good Samaritan still speaks and has lessons to people today, while the writings of Want Chong is obsolete and of little value except to scholars and not read much except by scholars, and had little impact on society. The superstitions he criticized still remained popular in China.

Port

Ad Honorem
Feb 2013
portland maine
While the Judeo-Christian Bible is still quite a popular text, I still would like to explain why I'm currently indifferent about it.
The discarding of the Judeo-Christian Bible happened way after I lost interests in the actual texts, and eventually, I found their physical presence in my home annoying.
Plus, I wanted to test the threats of the Christians; as I expected, no consequences whatsoever.
Since I learned about evolution and development of stars and planets, I have no interest in the Genesis.
After I learned that much of the Judeo-Christian Bible is pseudo-historical, I lost interests in the Biblical "records".
Learning that the teachings and lessons aren't that unique to Judeo-Christian Bible and they are scattered and disorganized, I lost general interest in it.
It is one' s individual decision to "accept" the bible. I have no idea what you mean by accept. Genesis is a set of myths. I do find it funny how some people attempt to make the creation story somehow connected to evolution. The creation myth to me is cool as most religions need some way to start Just as the Flood myth is part of so many cultures from around the world. Hoe many interpret it as part of the glacial movement of the p;Pleistocene period.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
It is one' s individual decision to "accept" the bible. I have no idea what you mean by accept. Genesis is a set of myths. I do find it funny how some people attempt to make the creation story somehow connected to evolution. The creation myth to me is cool as most religions need some way to start Just as the Flood myth is part of so many cultures from around the world. Hoe many interpret it as part of the glacial movement of the p;Pleistocene period.
Interestingly enough, Buddhism calls the beginning (or origin) a non-issue; since we cannot know for sure, many atheists are practically "agnostic atheists".

Similar History Discussions