Indira Gandhi

Aug 2019
UK
Hi

Im researching Indira Gandhi for a undergraduate dissertation. I'm struggling to find historians. Can anyone point me to any useful historians to help map the historiography of her?

Thank you

Oct 2015
India
Youtube has dozens of interviews / speeches of Indira Gandhi. Don't miss them. One of the best is one she gave in UK a little before 1971 Indo-Pakistan War. Her media savvy comes across so clearly and also the stance of western countries to genocide in Bangladesh.

There are a few interviews of Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw also on Youtube. In one he talks about Indira Gandhi calling him when she heard the rumour that Indian Army will take over the Government, a phenomena which was repetitive in Pakistan.

The above cover only brief highlights around 1971, there is enough material about her, including a few biographies.

Reactions: Gurmeetb

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Start with Wikipedia, and then ask questions in this forum. We would be happy to reply.

Aug 2019
UK
Youtube has dozens of interviews / speeches of Indira Gandhi. Don't miss them. One of the best is one she gave in UK a little before 1971 Indo-Pakistan War. Her media savvy comes across so clearly and also the stance of western countries to genocide in Bangladesh.

There are a few interviews of Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw also on Youtube. In one he talks about Indira Gandhi calling him when she heard the rumour that Indian Army will take over the Government, a phenomena which was repetitive in Pakistan.

The above cover only brief highlights around 1971, there is enough material about her, including a few biographies.
thank you!

Jan 2019
Valencia
Start with Wikipedia, and then ask questions in this forum. We would be happy to reply.
This is frankly terrible advice. What sort of academic dissertation would use Wikipedia as a source? Let alone random people on a forum. I'm starting to feel as if you're sponsored by Wikipedia or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gurmeetb
Jan 2019
Valencia
thank you!
Some books that may be of interest:

Zoya Hasan, Congress After Indira: Policy, Power, Political Change (1984-2009), Oxford University Press (2014)

Pupul Jayakar, Indira Gandhi: A Biography, Penguin Books (1992)

PN Dhar, Indira Gandhi, the "emergency", and Indian Democracy, Oxford University Press (2000)

Will add more later. I'll try and find some journal articles for you as well.

Reactions: NIROSHAN
Aug 2019
UK
Some books that may be of interest:

Zoya Hasan, Congress After Indira: Policy, Power, Political Change (1984-2009), Oxford University Press (2014)

Pupul Jayakar, Indira Gandhi: A Biography, Penguin Books (1992)

PN Dhar, Indira Gandhi, the "emergency", and Indian Democracy, Oxford University Press (2000)

Will add more later. I'll try and find some journal articles for you as well.
Brilliant. Thank you so much!!

Sep 2015
Sri Lanka
I have read the Biography of Indra Gandhi by Pupul Jayakar and also by Kathrine Frank ----Pupul had been a very close confidant of Indra Gandhi and a family friend of Nehru dynasty for 3 generations --Hence her book is very insightful and thought provoking but slightly biased I guess ! She also wrote a book about Jiddu Krishamurthi--Incidently to my greatest suprise Indra Gandhi had sought a "Private audience" with JK once !!
Kathrine Frank's account is well balanced in my opinion however some consder it contraversial !

Attachments

Reactions: Dewal
Aug 2019
UK
I have read the Biography of Indra Ghandi by Pupul Jayakar and also by Kathrine Frank ----Pupul had been a very close confidant of Indra Ghandi and a family friend of Nehru dynasty for 3 generations --Hence her book is very insightful and thought provoking but slightly biased I guess ! She also wrote a book about Jiddu Krishamurthi--Incidently to my greatest suprise Indra Gandi had sought a "Private audience" with JK once !!
Kathrine Frank's account is well balanced in my opinion however some consder it contraversial !
Brilliant thank you! I am currently reading Kathrine Frank's book. It is much more insightful and very well researched compared to some that I have read. From what I have read so far, she does in some parts focus on the issues Indira faced because of her gender and how she distanced herself from women's movements in India. I did find this very surprising since she was the first female Prime Minister on Independent India.

I have also read a more recent release by Sagarika Ghose which has been very helpful in outlining why and how influential Indira has and currently is on the lives of many in India. This may be a good read for you as the book involves personal letter from Ghose addressed to Indira. It's from 2017, it's not an overly one sided book.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
This is frankly terrible advice. What sort of academic dissertation would use Wikipedia as a source? Let alone random people on a forum. I'm starting to feel as if you're sponsored by Wikipedia or something.
Yes, I support Wikipedia, better than personal views of any writer of biography, biases. Normal precautions as in case of all internet information. I am not an academic.