Indonesia will build its new capital city in Borneo as Jakarta sinks into the Java Sea

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Here's the relevant article:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/indonesia-new-capital-borneo-jakarta-scli-intl/index.html

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this? Personally, I'm a huge fan of any new capital construction projects. I think that it's a great way to build large new cities and to reduce the pressure on the existing capital--especially if the existing capital is huge like Jakarta is. It's also a way for countries to show off and demonstrate just how good and large of a new capital city they can build and create.

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
It makes sense and it can work if it is well planned. Australia did it with Canberra and Brazil did it with Brazilia. Egypt is attempting to do it right now.

I think the location noted in the Guardian article is the final location. The first one was determined to be too far from the coast to take advantage of maritime infrastructure and transportation.

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
It makes sense and it can work if it is well planned. Australia did it with Canberra and Brazil did it with Brazilia. Egypt is attempting to do it right now.
Also, Astana, Islamabad, Abuja, and Naypyidaw. And how can we forget Washington, DC and St. Petersburg?