Information on Marc Anthony

Nov 2019
Memphis TN
I am fascinated by Marc Anthony, but have a hard time finding info on him specifically. All the podcasts, lectures and documentaries focus so thoroughly on Octavian and Ceaser, I feel there is this fascinating character that is far too central to be such a side note as far as mainstream media on him??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: arrhidaeus
Sep 2019
Vergina
Hello,

I share your fascination with Mark Antony. He has long been painted as a drunk blindly in love with Cleopatra. People forget that despite his ultimate defeat he was still a great commander. He commanded the left wing of Caesar's army at Pharsulus and his victory at Phillippi was brilliant. If you're looking for a good primary source check out Plutarch's Life of Antony, link below. For secondary sources, a good revisionist work I would recommend is Mark Antony: A Plain Blunt Man by Paolo De Ruggiero.

Reactions: Dentatus
Nov 2019
Memphis TN
Awesome!! Thank you!!

I am just as interested in modern historical opinions on Anthony.

I agree with the way he is portrayed.. sure he was a brash and cocky joker, but by all accounts he was an excellent fearless soldier and commander.

Hell I saw WAY more from anthony in the hbo miniseries than I EVER have in a documentary or lecture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk