Innocent until proven guilty and Placido Domingo

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
In the latest case of not innocent, until proven not guilty

Plácido Domingo concerts cancelled in response to sexual harassment allegations - Classic FM

In the light of sexual harassment allegations made against Plácido Domingo, major classical concert venues in the US have cancelled upcoming engagements with the 78-year-old Spanish tenor.

This is by far not the only such case (though the alleged misconduct can be different in each case), only the latest

Without making any judgment on this particular character or other characters who have found themselves in similar situations (i.e. being de facto "punished" before being actually found guilty), what does this say about our society ? Is it right that allegations of misconduct are enough to jeopardize someone's carreer and/or revenues ?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
what does this say about our society ? Is it right that allegations of misconduct are enough to jeopardize someone's carreer and/or revenues ?
It says that our society is not a court. Only in courts people are innocent until found guilty. In the societies, for better or worse, that doesn’t happen. People (and so, societies) make judgements all the time, and constantly, with the information (or disinformation) that they have available.

As for the second question, everyone can have different positions there, there are no absolute rules of behaviour against people accused of something.

I think it depends from case to case. Sometimes the information and the public knowledge is so overwhelming that people (and so, the society) can really make their final judgement.

We can see that in a well-known case that can be a paradigm: the mob gangster Al Capone.

Was he convicted for the crimes related with his gangster activities? I don’t know the case in detail, but the myth is that he was caught by tax evasion.

Did the public opinion needed a conviction in court to call him gangster and criminal? I don’t think so.

About Plácido Domingo, I don’t have a clue. But it seems that many women came forward. That is a bad sign, for him, and for his lawyers.

Similar History Discussions