Inside a country: India

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
India. A country exotic and distant to Westerners, mysterious and exciting to the imagination. A mosaic of myriad cultures, a crossroads of different peoples, a laboratory of civilisation.

One of the naturally richest countries in the world throughout history and one of the most populous, birthplace to one of the most influential civilisations in the face of the Earth, it certainly is an interesting destination, even just as a topic of discussion.

Similarly to the other "Inside a country" threads (so far about Germany, UK and Greece), this is an open invitation to members from India, or to those with knowledge about it, to share some of their insight to this great country with the rest of us.

These threads are meant to be a celebration of humanity's multifaceted culture and an attempt to get to know each other better, capitalising Historum's rich membership. No antagonistic or provocative remarks have a place here, plenty of other threads for that.

Dec 2009
Ozarkistan
Have not set foot there, but certainly would love to -- while there's still room for one more foot, and while I'm still able to stand!

The Imperial

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
3rd rock from Sol
So what do I say when you said everything :eek: ? I am afraid to say there may be only 3 members of Indian origin here, and am the only 'true' Indian in them.

Yeah India is a vast culture- sorta Europe which has been stitched together. India had been a superpower as a influential and economical culture from long back in history. After colonization for 200 years, its still picking up itself up.

She has lot of potential to improve and advance, but India has been plagued with corruption. Politicians who lobby millions of dollars into their Swiss accounts everyday run the country. And the worst case of corruption was seen by the massive frauds in Commonwealth Games. The govt had set 60,000 crore (US$13.02 billion) for the games, yet a very very meagre amount went into the games, rest went into the politician pockets.

Yet, India is chugging on, though corruption is like a gangrene hit limb... Just today, a state-wide holiday was declared here in Karnataka, as the state's chief minister(like USA's state governors) is being persecuted. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT??! Its like prosecuting our President!!

India has a unique gift, its people have access to best of two worlds- the East and the West, modernity and traditions. And education and industrial infrastructure is being rapidly developed in India. With this, India is building up a huge workforce to power it. And it seems to be working. India is projected to overtake USA's economy by 2045-2050.

Also India developed a completely indigenous lunar satellite (Chandrayaan I) which was a 95% success mission, also it discovered water on moon. India is enroute to build a lunar rover by 2018 in collaboration with Russia. And India just built its first indigenous LCA (Tejas, which is supersonic too) and LCH (a chopper based on Dhruv).

This is just an overview of modern India. Am pretty bad at history of India :eek:

Oct 2010
India's huge population is a huge asset for the country as well as a huge liability, I do think its total GDP will eventually surpass US, but as of GDP per capital, I don't believe it ever will....

Salah

Forum Staff
Oct 2009
Maryland
If I understand correctly, India has historically and modernly been the most linguistically diverse country in the world.

These may seem like very naive questions (pardon me, an ignorant American), but what is it like communicating in India? How many languages is the "average" Indian (if there is such a person) fluent in?

Patito de Hule

Ad Honorem
Jan 2009
Minneapolis, MN
I've been reading about the Harappan civilization. It lasted from c 3000-1700 BCE, or as one of my books expresses it 3102-c 1700 BCE! It covered a rather large area of the Indus Valley, including parts of modern India, Pakistan, and Afghanistan. Some people, wanting to claim that the Indo-European Languages originated in India suggest that they spoke an Indo-European language. Others believe they probably spoke a Dravidian language. At any rate, their inscriptions on seals have not been deciphered. One of the pictures on these seals that occurs over and over is a bull with a huge dewlap--quite detailed.

One of their unique characteristics seems to have been the regularity of their settlements, always built in the same pattern. The world's first urban planners! The streets are all in the same widths, either one, one and a half, or two measures wide. Some of their walls were constructed 13 meters thick. There was no stone available, and the work is done in bricks all of the same dimensions from settlement to settlement.

One source suggests that they traded with the Sumerians and were perhaps the "Meluhhans" of Sumerian inscriptions. This could jive with the later Sanskrit word "mlechche" for a low cast person which from its appearance does not derive from a Sanskritic root.

There is a hiatus in the use of writing after these people disappeared until the Sanskrit writing Vedic civilization had superseded them.

Here is a picture of one of their settlements:

Harappan Civilization: ca. 3000-1500 BC
The Harappan Civilization by Tarini J. Carr

The Imperial

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
3rd rock from Sol
What role, if any, does the caste system plays in modern India?
No. Caste system no longer effects our life, atleast not in urban areas and South India. We dont really care about castes. Especially not my generation. I dont know what caste my GF belongs, nor even which religion my BFF belongs to... Hell! Am not clear where I BELONG TO!

But, caste system is prevalent in Northern Indian rural areas in remote places where Dalits are oppressed by the so called 'upper castes'.

But the Indian government has set reservations for seats in schools, colleges, universities, govt jobs for the backward classes and women to 49% in some regions. Women too have 1/3rd reservation of seats in all govt assemblies and hold a lotta power.

If I understand correctly, India has historically and modernly been the most linguistically diverse country in the world.

These may seem like very naive questions (pardon me, an ignorant American), but what is it like communicating in India? How many languages is the "average" Indian (if there is such a person) fluent in?

We communicate by 3 ways- English, Hindi and the local language of the region. An average rural Indian living at the border of his state knows about 4-5 languages while rural Indians in the interior know only their local language. In urban areas an average Indian knows about 3-4 languages.

But urbanites of my and newer generation have completely forgotten their mother tongues and speak only English:sick::eek::think: and have completely forgotten their culture. Thats a different story.

Anyway, I personally know 4 languages fluently- Marathi (my native tongue), Kannada, Hindi and English.

Lawnmowerman

Ad Honorem
Mar 2010
If I understand correctly, India has historically and modernly been the most linguistically diverse country in the world.?
This rather cool map shows the counties of the world with respect to the amount of languages spoken in them.
PNG is the winner by far

Dec 2009
India looks more like a continent rather than a nation.
There are more languages in India than in whole Europe.
India uses more writing systems than whole Europe.As far as I know there are at least
7 different writing systems in India like Devanagari,Gujurati,Tamil,Telugu,Oriya,Bengali
and Kannada