Inside a country: India

Baldtastic

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Londinium
I am doing intensive research on the Indus Valley Civilization (IVC), which to me is really fascinating.
While in ND I visited the national museum which holds the worlds largest collection of IVC artifacts. I'll try and dig out my pictures and will post here. The museum was a highlight of ND for me and I can't recommend it enough.

Baldtastic

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Londinium
Ya it, It has become very easy to travel from one state to another. India is like EU. it faces some very same problems. India the equivalent of Romanians would be a bihari and they migrate everywhere in search of work. They are mostly into manufacturing and construction works. You find a lot of vitriol directed against them in both north and south. People are just same everyone, there are always a select few who love to hate. I think overall it is very good thing for India, It helps break caste and feudal kinships across India. It is mostly rural to urban.
Thanks again for your explanation. The diversity within India (the ting fragment that I saw) was incredible. A unified people, such as it could ever be, without the framework of caste or feudal kinships would be a feat for India and, without wanting to take credit from Indian’s, democracy in general.

Internal migration has increased very much in the decades after the liberalisation of Indian economy--say after the 1990s. Take my example,I am from the state of Maharashtra in the south-west. After my voluntary retirement in 2004 Feb., I travelled to and stayed at Varanasi ( aka Benares ), in Uttar Pradesh a northern state. This was on a job. I then was employed in the state of Bihar at Dehri--on--Sone. Thereafter I came back to my home state for a while. I was back at Uttar Pradesh on a short job. And then myself and my wife we shifted some household gear etc.to stay at Bikaner,in the western desert state of Rajasthan. Now in 2016 May I am back home. All these places outside of Maharashtra are at thousands of kilometers from my home.
The majority of such migrations is from rural to urban. This is because' unskilled heavy' type of employment is shrinking in rural areas.
Interesting to read, thanks.

You’ve certainly travelled around India far more than I have around the UK, London is very much a black hole for talent in the UK. It seems much more open or opportunistic in India for social mobility. Perhaps this is a consequence of the centres of commerce being geographically spread-out and the economic changes occurring 1 generation ago.

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
Thanks again for your explanation. The diversity within India (the ting fragment that I saw) was incredible. A unified people, such as it could ever be, without the framework of caste or feudal kinships would be a feat for India and, without wanting to take credit from Indian’s, democracy in general.

Interesting to read, thanks.

You’ve certainly travelled around India far more than I have around the UK, London is very much a black hole for talent in the UK. It seems much more open or opportunistic in India for social mobility. Perhaps this is a consequence of the centres of commerce being geographically spread-out and the economic changes occurring 1 generation ago.
There is a new dynamic feeling in the middle class of India, the competitive keenness to get ahead in life. Better education, different avenues of employment are being sought. We now know that we can make it as a nation. This gives rise to all sorts of mobility. Across international borders,too. Indian middle class is 800 million strong. You can imagine what must be happening here.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
My parents lived in Bombay for five years. I can say without reservation that it was very possible to live there speaking only English.
Yes, its possible to live in cities like Delhi, Mumbai or Bangalore with English only as lots of people here are very fluent in English but things get difficult while moving to smaller cities or countryside.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Yep, I was told that Eastern J&K has a military presence due to China and western is driven by the Pakistan border disputes; of these the west is far more volatile.
Only the Kashmir valley has security presence against militancy, other two regions Jammu and Ladakh including their Muslim majority districts has always been unaffected by militancy. Jammu and Kashmir by ethnicity and religion is a very diverse territory with ethnic groups like Dogras, Pahadis, Kashmiris, Shinas, Gujjar-Bakarwals, Ladakhis. Ladakh borders Chinese occupied Aksai Chin and Jammu region with Pakistan occupied Kashmir so military standoff is always there, but there had been more peace at India-China border compared to high violence across India-Pakistan border.