Insurgents in Iraq have seized nuclear materials used for scientific rese

Feb 2013
French Republic
(Reuters) - Insurgents in Iraq have seized nuclear materials used for scientific research at a university in the country's north, Iraq told the United Nations in a letter appealing for help to "stave off the threat of their use by terrorists in Iraq or abroad."

Nearly 40 kilograms (88 pounds) of uranium compounds were kept at Mosul University, Iraq's U.N. Ambassador Mohamed Ali Alhakim told U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon in the July 8 letter obtained by Reuters on Wednesday.

"Terrorist groups have seized control of nuclear material at the sites that came out of the control of the state," Alhakim wrote, adding that such materials "can be used in manufacturing weapons of mass destruction."

Mar 2011
UK
Can't help but think it would have been a good idea to move something like that out of the country for the time being. Although I don't think it's really much of a threat or anything.

Feb 2013
French Republic
Is a Good occasion to creat a Grande Coalition and attack this Terrorists before is to late and help the Irak Republic and the Kurdes

Sep 2012
London, centre of my world
I'm no expert, but how dangerous is 40kg of uranium? I thought it had to be treated to make unstable, that is, 'weapons-grade' material; how sophisticated would this treatment be, and do Terror groups have the technical know-how?

Not that I'm unconcerned; this sounds worrying.

Sep 2012
Is a Good occasion to creat a Grande Coalition and attack this Terrorists before is to late and help the Irak Republic and the Kurdes
Is there anyone in the West who has the stomach for such a thing, especially after the last decade?

Feb 2013
French Republic
I totaly ignorent about nuclear, atoms etc but the symbole is powerful for people of middle- class like me ,If you writte Terrorists have 40 Kilogrammes or 500 000 kilogrammes is identique .A normal fear (maybe irrational for you) born in the spirits and Brains.

Tercios Espanoles

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
I'm no expert, but how dangerous is 40kg of uranium? I thought it had to be treated to make unstable, that is, 'weapons-grade' material; how sophisticated would this treatment be, and do Terror groups have the technical know-how?

Not that I'm unconcerned; this sounds worrying.
The fear is that it will be introduced into a conventional bomb and thus create a "dirty" bomb, spraying radioactive contamination about. Effective? Not really. Disturbing? Highly. Which is the goal.

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
as things are standing there now, they either help the Iraqi Republic or the Kurds :lol:

in the news it says "The U.N. atomic agency said on Thursday it believed nuclear material which Iraq said had fallen into the hands of insurgents was "low grade" and did not pose a significant security risk."

"Iraq told the United Nations that the material was used for scientific research at a university in the northern town of Mosul and appealed for help to "stave off the threat of their use by terrorists in Iraq or abroad".

so it rather sounds like an excuse to beg for foreign help because they can't handle the ISIS, than real nuclear threat.

but anyways i find it strange that since 2003 Iraq was always so instable and poor, why were they spending money on nuclear research, weren't there higher priority tasks, like rebuilding the country?

Sep 2012
The fear is that it will be introduced into a conventional bomb and thus create a "dirty" bomb, spraying radioactive contamination about. Effective? Not really. Disturbing? Highly. Which is the goal.
So it will get used as propaganda rather than as an actual device?

EDIT.
Just read Tulun's post. Is that the case, or should I worry?