Integrity - Does it really matter?

Jan 2016
Collapsed wave
I've read somewhere or it was a lecture by Jordan Peterson, that the best predictors of someone's success is if other people want to do business (or cooperate in broader sense) with that person. Not intellect, not knowledge, not ambition, but if other people find it ok to do business with someone.

Jun 2018
New York
I believe it should. And when I really think about it, that seems to be whats missing from my own upbringing. I like to think I have integrity on some level, but am aware I am also lacking much. I'm young and find myself thinking this over more often than not and wish that it was hammered into me when I was growing; because it is extremely hard to break old habits. I may be an honest and kind person in my own eyes, but am I able to accomplish anything with my lack of integrity where such things matter? Work, relationships, education?

I think it is for sure something that is sorely missing from all levels of education and households these days, and continues to decline as the years go on and people around us seem to be more selfish than ever in every aspect of their lives. We need something to strive for outside of ourselves and the guidance to get out there and do it and pass it on. I wish such things would be incorporated into education again, though that seems like a lost cause at this point.

I also believe religion as a huge role to play in this decline. In a world where religion is criticized for being, for lack of a better term, 'seemingly outdated'(my own words). That gives you a clear purpose outside of yourself and the integrity along with it. Something to ground oneself in and work to be that honest, kind, merciful and decent person.

People are all different however, so everyone may have differing views on what integrity is and how that applies to them. The definition stays the same, how people look at it may not. So yes, integrity does matter. If not to a greater group than at least to and for an individual.

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
Integrity is doing the right thing even when nobody is watching. My father is a multi-millionaire but he could have made a lot more money if he wanted to compromise his principles. I've seen him do what he thought was right even when he knew it would cause him significant personal and financial damage. If I can pass at least some of this to my kids, I will have considered my life well spent.

Similar History Discussions