Intellectuals who managed to become prominent politicians

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Which intellectuals managed to become prominent politicians? So far, I could think of Woodrow Wilson (President of Princeton University before he became US President) and various Bolsheviks (Lenin, Trotsky, Stalin, et cetera), but who else was there who fits this criteria?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Which intellectuals managed to become prominent politicians? So far, I could think of Woodrow Wilson (President of Princeton University before he became US President) and various Bolsheviks (Lenin, Trotsky, Stalin, et cetera), but who else was there who fits this criteria?
Excellent idea for a thread!

I don’t have much time now, but to start, I could say, for the 19th century and for Portugal:

Almeida Garret

Almeida Garrett - Wikipedia

Alexandre Herculano

Alexandre Herculano - Wikipedia

These two men are huge references of the Romanticism.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
I don’t know if one would call him an intellectual but Harold Wilson was a lecturer and research fellow at Oxford in the late 1930s. Richard Crossman and Anthony Crosland (Labour politicians of the same era as Wilson) also had similar backgrounds.

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
As a Swede I have a soft spot for Ernst Wigforss, professor of comparative linguistics, and Social Democratic Minister of Finance 1932-49. Wigforss was totally unschooled in economics, a Marxist critic of capitalism, and independently of Keynes came up with a set of "Keynsian" economic policies that saved the Swedish economy as the effects of the Great Depression rolled around the world, and indirectly thus probably saved Swedish democracy before WWII.

Similar History Discussions