Intellectuals who managed to become prominent politicians

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
I wasn't relying on any maxims, just curious as to why you found a figure you disagreed with to be inspirational, perhaps my question didn't make that clear.
Oh, I think your quote of my post actually cut the first paragraph and (maybe egotistically!) I thought the question was about my claiming to be more open-minded to the political left.

Bradley was a sort of "renaissance man": Rhodes scholar and NBA basketball player and later a Senator. I found his accomplishments inspirational, and also the manner he expressed himself during those cable TV shows.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
A long time ago I read a very long Stalin bio by an American scholar named Ulam. I think the research led Ulam to believe that Stalin was more of an editor than an original writer of these foundation documents. I will grant that Stalin was very very intelligent, not a "gut player" as was his Austro-German counterpart, though. But fate didn't give Stalin the opportunity to lead an intellectual life, might be the most generous I can be relative to Stalin and the thread topic.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
A long time ago I read a very long Stalin bio by an American scholar named Ulam. I think the research led Ulam to believe that Stalin was more of an editor than an original writer of these foundation documents. I will grant that Stalin was very very intelligent, not a "gut player" as was his Austro-German counterpart, though. But fate didn't give Stalin the opportunity to lead an intellectual life, might be the most generous I can be relative to Stalin and the thread topic.
Who was his Austro-German counterpart?

@Futurist According to Trotsky the original pamphlet is a work of Bukharin. Of coarse Trotsky was the archenemy of Stalin, so perhaps not very reliable source.
Yeah, I'd be wary of trusting Trotsky since he could have wanted to smear Stalin and make him seem less accomplished than he actually was.

Similar History Discussions