Interesting animal facts

Mar 2017
Colorado
Well, I can only speak for Bunny, but, I think she would 'adopt' anything that spent enough time around her. :rolleyes:
Gunter Goebels was a famous animal trainer for one of the now defunct big circuses. His elephants were fiercely devoted to him and the females were very jealous of his wife. She couldn't go near them.

In ancient times both Asian and African elephants were used for warfare. Asian elephants were bigger. African elephants were herded from the interior to southern Nubia, up to and across Lake Victoria, across the huge swamp known as the Sudd, then floated all the way down the Nile. That's more than 2000 miles. It's a wonder it was profitable.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Gunter Goebels was a famous animal trainer for one of the now defunct big circuses. His elephants were fiercely devoted to him and the females were very jealous of his wife. She couldn't go near them.

In ancient times both Asian and African elephants were used for warfare. Asian elephants were bigger. African elephants were herded from the interior to southern Nubia, up to and across Lake Victoria, across the huge swamp known as the Sudd, then floated all the way down the Nile. That's more than 2000 miles. It's a wonder it was profitable.
African Bush eephants are bigger than Asian ones. There was a now extinct species of a North Africsn elephant that was smaller. The African elephants used in ancient warfare were the smaller North African ones.
I

Sep 2012
India
A year ago, I had a female cat, who was very beautiful, basically white with brown patches and a very impressive face. One day she started behaving very cozily with me, licking my cheeks and nose and purring. I knew she was pregnant but the meaning of her licking/purring had not been immediately grasped by me. Suddenly she started having her pains and in a short while delivered one kitten right on my bed. She picked up the newborn, the natal cord, and the bag in which the kitten had been and went to the empty cupboard which we had prepared for her delivery. There she delivered her other kitten. All this happened in a few minutes. She was very devoted to her two kittens.
She was pregnant a second time when she was attacked by stray dogs in our compound. Before my wife rescued her she had been bitten in the neck. The Vet gave her a couple of injections. She seemed to recover but died soon, possibly because the foetuses must have died by shock, thus causing her death. Sad story. Cannot forget her.

Mar 2017
Colorado
African Bush eephants are bigger than Asian ones. There was a now extinct species of a North Africsn elephant that was smaller. The African elephants used in ancient warfare were the smaller North African ones.
I
Thanks for this. This makes sense. I think some authors have conflated ivory from Nubia with elephants from North Africa. Now that I know what to look for, I'll look deeper.

In a general sense, Egypt exported ivory & war elephants ... but I think it's clear the elephants didn't come from the South.

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
A year ago, I had a female cat, who was very beautiful, basically white with brown patches and a very impressive face. One day she started behaving very cozily with me, licking my cheeks and nose and purring. I knew she was pregnant but the meaning of her licking/purring had not been immediately grasped by me. Suddenly she started having her pains and in a short while delivered one kitten right on my bed. She picked up the newborn, the natal cord, and the bag in which the kitten had been and went to the empty cupboard which we had prepared for her delivery. There she delivered her other kitten. All this happened in a few minutes. She was very devoted to her two kittens.
She was pregnant a second time when she was attacked by stray dogs in our compound. Before my wife rescued her she had been bitten in the neck. The Vet gave her a couple of injections. She seemed to recover but died soon, possibly because the foetuses must have died by shock, thus causing her death. Sad story. Cannot forget her.
Sorry to hear it. I love animals very much.

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
Sorry to hear it. I love animals very much.
Dear Sir,
Thanks a lot for your response which I noted just now! Yes, she was a lovely cat, with a strong personality and very effective ways of communicating with her brood as well as us humans. God did not give her a painless death, I am afraid. I wish her soul the very best, wherever it is. Regards---rvsakhadeo

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Dear Sir,
Thanks a lot for your response which I noted just now! Yes, she was a lovely cat, with a strong personality and very effective ways of communicating with her brood as well as us humans. God did not give her a painless death, I am afraid. I wish her soul the very best, wherever it is. Regards---rvsakhadeo
You bet. Sorry for your loss. When I retire I am going to work to help animals, and those who work to help them. I can't think of anything better to do, really...

Similar History Discussions