Interesting animal facts

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
I hope we can compile a long list. I'll start with something about otters.

Otters have the biggest appetite pound for pound of all mammals. They need this in order to maintain the densest fur in the animal kingdom, which keeps them warm even when they sleep in cold water.

P.S. I realize we can just look this up in some websites, but by listing and discussing the ones we're familiar with we can have more fun and learn them as opposed to just being able to look them up.
I think shrews have them beat, shrews must eat 200-300% of their body weight every day to survive

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
Great incident ! Many animals have intelligence, recognise humans and human abilities. Domesticated animals are of course, better at these things. But the fact that this wild creature could think of a way of solving its difficulty, which involved human help, is a most remarkable thing !

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
Hedgehogs put into zoo for recovery after overdoing it on eggnog

“Apparently it isn’t only humans who can get hangovers.

Erfurt locals were alarmed to find two hedgehogs slumped next to a bottle of eggnog near a children’s play area on Sunday, the Thüringer Allgemeine Zeitung reported.

The two hedgehogs are thought to have come across a leaking bottle of eggnog and proceeded to vigorously finish it off. The intoxication probably came as a shock to these first-time consumers, and resulted in the hedgehogs suffering from a bad hangover.

Not looking as sharp as usual, the hedgehogs were taken by police to recuperate in the nearby Thuringian Zoo.”

Last time I checked, only one hedgehog has come to his senses. Funny as the story sounds, it is also a reminder to us to dispose of rubbish properly, as our potions can be toxic and harmful to animals.

Reactions: rvsakhadeo

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
We are slowly poisoning our once lovely planet and not many years are left when the planet will be devoid of all life.

Reactions: arkteia