Internal migration in a surviving Austria-Hungary

Oct 2013
Europix
Thanks for this information!

BTW, how much larger do you think that the Budapest metropolitan area would have been right now had there been no World Wars and Austria-Hungary would have somehow managed to survive up to the present-day?
Difficult to say.

In Your scenario, the population concentration that occurred in RL might have been different: Hungary (in RL) is a small country (like Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Herzegovina) and these cases the capital city can (and it did) gain an "abnormal" weight (and communism only reinforced that tendency, through it's highly centralised type of functioning).

Important cities (like Debrecen, Szeged, Kosice, Timisoara, Cluj, Czernivtzi) through the dismantlement of AH found their position totally changed. They became peripheral, cut from the zones they were the centers.

Logically, in a surviving AH, those cities would have continued to grow and gain importance. They would have remained gravity centers, as they were before WWI. I think also the whole Dalmatian coast would have developed much more, being the maritime access of such a big entity as AH.

Maybe Bratislava (Pozsony) would have suffered, as it's extremely close to Wien.

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Couldn't Bratislava have eventually become a suburb of Vienna, though?

Also, based on what you're saying here, it sure looks like a surviving A-H would have several centers of population just like the US currently has.

BTW, just how much more people do you think that the Dalmatian coast would have in this scenario in comparison to real life?

Oct 2013
Europix
Couldn't Bratislava have eventually become a suburb of Vienna, though?
Too far (70 km).

BTW, just how much more people do you think that the Dalmatian coast would have in this scenario in comparison to real life?
IDK!

Depends on the industrial activity. Dalmatia had everything for a good naval industry, for turism too, so it could have had a significant larger population. We have some members from the region, they could give better insights.

Also, based on what you're saying here, it sure looks like a surviving A-H would have several centers of population just like the US currently has.
It's my opinion.

Actually, the AH You are proposing, with a relatively stable internal situation should become a wealthy state because of it's size and diversity.

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
That's a comparable distance between Los Angeles and Riverside here in southern California, no? Riverside is arguably a suburb of Los Angeles.

IDK!

Depends on the industrial activity. Dalmatia had everything for a good naval industry, for turiam too, so it could have had a significant larger population. We have some members from the region, they could give better insights.
OK.

It's my opinion.

Actually, the AH You are proposing, with a relatively stable internal situation should become a wealthy state because of it's size and diversity.
OK.

Also, how much immigration do you think a surviving A-H would have? What about non-White immigration?

Oct 2013
Europix
Also, how much immigration do you think a surviving A-H would have? What about non-White immigration?
Manneke, no way to drag me into that!

No WWI means no reshaping the Mideast by French and British, different decolonisation, probably no Bolshevik Russia ....

Nah, all that it's way over my knowledge and capacities!

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Manneke, no way to drag me into that!

No WWI means no reshaping the Mideast by French and British, different decolonisation, probably no Bolshevik Russia ....

Nah, all that it's way over my knowledge and capacities!
What about Balkan and Turkish/Ottoman immigration into A-H?