Introverted Generals

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Do we know if any famous military figures have a personality that could be considered notably introverted/shy/meek etc?
The two best Dutch admirals were. De Ruyter and Tromp seem to have been very down to earth and no glory hunters at all. The stories about the De Ruyter all seem to confirm this. Caring after his chickens after battle (apparently he had chickens on his warships), refusing the position of admiral because of his family, ordering a retreat against the English when his staff wanted a glorious death etc.

Also William III (who imo is underrated as commander) was shy and hated the pomp at the English court and church.

And of course Eisenhower.

Jan 2015
Rupert's Land ;)
Do we know if any famous military figures have a personality that could be considered notably introverted/shy/meek etc?
Field Marshal AlanBrooke, Chief of Imperial General Staff, and one of the Allied powers primary strategists.
He was seen as rather bookish and his hobby was ornithology.

Perhaps the best Allied (non-Soviet) general in WWII

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
Douglas Haigh might be a candidate. Not meek in any way but very socially awkward, tended to keep a small circle of trusted confidants and be very difficult to talk to for anyone else.
Fortunately for his career he was competent and his wife was more than capable of holding her own advancing politically.

Edratman

Ad Honorem
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
Antony Beevor thinks so anyway for what its worth! Me personally I doubt it, Did Field Marshal Montgomery have Asperger's Syndrome?
As a person with high functioning Asperger's, I agree entirely that it was unlikely that Montgomery had Asperger's. Before I retired I was a successful plant manager of factories because I was able to adopt a "mask" to disguise the shortcomings. The disguise was neither perfect nor in place 100% of the time, consequently presenting many limitations. It is possible that someone could implement a far superior mask for longer periods, but that must have a limit where you can question if it is a disguise at all.

Sep 2017
United States
Scipio Africanus refused honors thrust on him, retired away from Rome, tried to prevent the ruin of Hannibal, and lamented on the city, and may have taken his own life.

Similar History Discussions