Invention of Radio

pikeshot1600

Ad Honorem
Jul 2009
In all seriousness, the first commercial radio station was in Pittsburgh. It broadcast the first baseball game and the first presidential elections, among other things.
A Science Odyssey: People and Discoveries: KDKA begins to broadcast
Regardless of the April Fool aspect, that is historically true. The broadcast aspect followed Westinghouse Electric's setting up wireless transmission facilities so they could bypass the cost of telegram and telephone communication. And, a century later, KDKA Pittsburgh is still on the air. They lost the rights to the Pittsburgh Pirates around 2000, but I think they got that back on FM recently.

Reactions: Rodger

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Regardless of the April Fool aspect, that is historically true. The broadcast aspect followed Westinghouse Electric's setting up wireless transmission facilities so they could bypass the cost of telegram and telephone communication. And, a century later, KDKA Pittsburgh is still on the air. They lost the rights to the Pittsburgh Pirates around 2000, but I think they got that back on FM recently.
Yes to the latter. Westinghouse was another powerhouse back in the day.
Westinghouse Electric Corporation - Wikipedia
I say was because, like USS, it has been absorbed in such a way that it is no longer. Back in high school I lived in a community where Westinghouse's Nuclear Component brought people from all over the world. It made my school quite diverse. The majority of those came from South Asia , mostly India, but there were students who were born in Saudi Arabia and Iran and a large Jewish American population, along with a few from Europe. Radio was the medium for awhile. My grandfather listened to the radio, even after he had a television. Listening to the baseball game was a summer pastime for many back in the day. It would have been a wonderful bonus or advantage, dare I say pleasure, to have such an opportunity back when most did not.