Iran 2019

Aug 2012
No. Impossible. There's no stomach in America for another war. Trump can't sell it to his people, and his image is so tarnished by his bizarre and disjointed behaviour I would have serious doubts that his generals would act on any order he gave. There were accounts of him, earlier in his Presidency, wanting to invade Venezuela. The fact that didn't happen shows that he is not surrounded entirely by sycophants, and that efforts are being made to manage him.
Remember, too, how on the campaign trail he was bragging about how he'd torture people and "bomb the ****" out of America's enemies. What luck do you think such a man would have at winning the hearts and minds of a foreign people if it ever came down to a lengthy occupation?

Mar 2016
Australia
No. Impossible. There's no stomach in America for another war. Trump can't sell it to his people, and his image is so tarnished by his bizarre and disjointed behaviour I would have serious doubts that his generals would act on any order he gave. There were accounts of him, earlier in his Presidency, wanting to invade Venezuela. The fact that didn't happen shows that he is not surrounded entirely by sycophants, and that efforts are being made to manage him.
Remember, too, how on the campaign trail he was bragging about how he'd torture people and "bomb the ****" out of America's enemies. What luck do you think such a man would have at winning the hearts and minds of a foreign people if it ever came down to a lengthy occupation?
Jeez, at least try to come off as slightly less aggressively biased for the sake of non-Americans here.....

Dec 2015
USA
Wow those are some far out reports if true wrt Venezuela.

I will say that regardless of the POTUS, the recent wars the US have undertaken have with exception to Iraq, have been wars fought against powers with no international standing or support such as The Taliban and Al Qaeda. In these wars the American people are supported worldwide because groups like AQ and The Taliban have a tiny support base. Wrt Iraq in 2003, large masses of European people opposed the US war in Iraq, still the US got support from Muslim majority countries as well as powerful countries such as The UK but not Russia. Russia and the USA likewise oppose religious criminals we can see this but these countries disagree on what to do with countries such as Cuba or Venezuela.

In the modern time IMO Trade wars or sanctions are the most American people will take when it comes to opposing nations. North Korea is probably the only country the American public at large would support invading. People see NK as a Robot type society where its people are being oppressed...thats a war where the USA can sell it to the public in a moral way. Certainly the notion of going after fellow Christian majority countries such as Mexico, or Southern American countries seems to be a non starter. These countries such as Mexico and Venezuela have poverty issues but they have freedoms that North Korean people dream of. A US war with a country like Mexico or Venezuela is something surely that wont happen in our time.

As for Iran, Iran is Muslim majority, but still it has a cultured and diverse society similar to Israel, Syria, Lebanon these countries are more diverse compared to say Saudi Arabia or Yemen. All that said, I have not heard calls for war from the current administration, there has been calls to get out of Syria and most recent an overture has been made to Iran to talk with the USA.

Iranian society is similar to a # of US allies in the middle east, if not more liberal. So society wise I feel that The US gov does not have a moral argument to make against Iran. Iran of course does not have a moral argument to make to anyone because they have intolerant laws where the lesser bad guy in the USA is allying to countries with intolerant laws. Thats two wrongs perhaps one is worse then the other but its two wrongs nonetheless. Hope at this point is Iran can become more free and welcoming to tourists which can boost there economy and make Iran more difficult for any country to mess with at that point countries if they are led properly would want to work with Iran.

An Iranian I spoke with said in order for the middle east to improve as a whole, the big heads have to cool down it might take one side totally backing down from its current gung ho approach.

Cepheus

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Trump's numbers are even or better than Obama's at this time. See the graph in the article.

Monday, May 13, 2019

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Monday shows that 50% of Likely U.S. Voters approve of President Trump’s job performance. Forty-nine percent (49%) disapprove.

The latest figures include 38% who Strongly Approve of the job Trump is doing and 39% who Strongly Disapprove. This gives him a Presidential Approval Index rating of -1
Daily Presidential Tracking Poll - Rasmussen Reports®

Mar 2019
Kansas
As for Iran, Iran is Muslim majority, but still it has a cultured and diverse society similar to Israel, Syria, Lebanon these countries are more diverse compared to say Saudi Arabia or Yemen. All that said, I have not heard calls for war from the current administration, there has been calls to get out of Syria and most recent an overture has been made to Iran to talk with the USA.
Its all about the oil baby!

Similar History Discussions