Iran 2019

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
@JoanOfArc007,

Per your post #64, Saudi Arabia and Israel have both been US proxies in other cases. Israel has been a potential strategic bridgehead in the M.E. since the Oil Shock of the early 1970s. There have been, and there continue to be, reasons to support and to use both countries.

What may be of concern is that both of those countries "attempting to get the US more involved against Iran" puts the US into a position similar to Germany and Austria-Hungary in WW I. The stronger power became too entangled with the interests of its lesser partner - with no advantage to itself.

The US has less need of the oil from the Gulf. Its trading partners have that need; its potential strategic partners (India in particular) have that need. It is not in the interests of the United States to make war on Iran. In Washington, D.C., there are at the moment reckless and unstable personalities (more than one) who think being seen as the toughest bully is a foreign policy solution to many issues.
That John Bolton fellow whom advises Trump, is accused of being very much against Iran. I was very very surprised when he was appointed to National Security Adviser. The things Bolton has said on Fox news before working for the current POTUS is something that one would imagine hearing from a pro Israeli or Saudi commentator as opposed to a non bias person. And I get that Israel has its advancements and positive values more so compared to Saudi...but improvements can be made even in Israel I feel. I will say, imo The USA can benefit from any country including Israel and Saudi Arabia. At this moment in history though improvements in the middle east are desired and one could argue the USA should not only consider sanctions against Iran but also Saudi and Israel...the latter may not happen in our life but sometime in the future it could unless of course Saudi and Israel become more open societies which could avoid sanctions or negative opinions against such countries.

And this comes from someone whom is not anti war. WW2 was a righteous war to fight IMO. In the modern times though Iran, Israel and Saudi should settle there differences IMO as gentlemen... if the right people get in power in those countries a positive outcome could prevail. World trade and job offers in multiple countries could improve if the middle east itself could be more attractive to potential tourists. The status quo of the middle east for decades has blocked world trade and potential of many people.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
You're in a history forum.... as you know any numbers of invaders throughout history have done the absurd and the stupid ;)
Oh I know, but the latest absurd invasions - and the lessons of them - are too recent for the USA to attempt anything quite as absurd as invading Iran. Everything has to have some limit! :)

May 2018
Michigan
Oh I know, but the latest absurd invasions - and the lessons of them - are too recent for the USA to attempt anything quite as absurd as invading Iran. Everything has to have some limit! :)
The only thing more absurd than a U.S. Invasion of Iran is allowing Iran to acquire nuclear weapons.

Dec 2014
Wales
I love that you think human stupidity has any limits whatsoever. History would like to argue with that.:)

Mar 2019
Kansas
I love that you think human stupidity has any limits whatsoever. History would like to argue with that.:)
A quote often attributed to Albert Einstein:

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Reactions: chean