Irish songs

CelticBard

Historum Emeritas
Aug 2006
Roving
The Irish song, Minstrel Boy, speaks of a warrior bard who took up his father's sword to fight against slavery. Does anyone know when this song was first written, what period it relates to, and what war (probably against the English) the Irish were fighting at the time?

Lord_Cronus

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Georgia
CelticBard said:
The Irish song, Minstrel Boy, speaks of a warrior bard who took up his father's sword to fight against slavery. Does anyone know when this song was first written, what period it relates to, and what war (probably against the English) the Irish were fighting at the time?
http://ogallchobhair.org/minstrelboy.htm

It was about the 1798 irish rebellion. We all know how that ended. :evil:

CelticBard

Historum Emeritas
Aug 2006
Roving
Thanks Cronus. I read that description of Thomas Moore's writing. He was describing some of the people he knew at Trinity College. Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland, is a great place. The famous Book of Kells is on display there, plus it's in Dublin, quite possibly the greatest city in the history of the world.

Aug 2006
Salinas, CA
And it is also home of the greatest stout in the world: Guinness.

:drinkers:

You know what the say, the closer you get to Dublin...the better is the Guinness.

Though I've heard that consumption levels are down in Ireland, in favor of American lager imports--namely Coors and Budweiser.

That, my friends, is the definition of "sacrilege."

CelticBard

Historum Emeritas
Aug 2006
Roving
I'm not so much a beer man. The Jameson Irish Whiskey was what I loved about Dublin, although now it's made in Cork. Toured the old distillery, was part of an Irish whiskey tasting, very large part of the local culture.

Sep 2006
Earth
I've actually never read that before. I really, really like it! And not to derail the topic, but I saw "Irish songs" and immediately thought of...

Amergin... (no said:
Song of Amergin

I am a stag: of seven tines,
I am a flood: across a plain,
I am a wind: on a deep lake,
I am a tear: the Sun lets fall,
I am a hawk: above the cliff,
I am a thorn: beneath the nail,
I am a wonder: among flowers,
I am a wizard: who but I
Sets the cool head aflame with smoke?

I am a spear: that roars for blood,