IrishAfroAmericans

Jan 2014
Rus
I have read one theory in Russian yellow press. And think now: "is it true".

Here it briefly:
"USA negroes are not AfroAmericans. But they are special breed which were created by American plantators. They crossbreeded Irish man and African women to get specy ideally fit for tobacco and cotton plantations"

Looks strange. But
1.Many american negroes have Irish surnames
2.They dont want to go to Africa
3. Many american white politics deal on the side of blacks against whites. Thats looks strange. But may be they Irish and Blacks are there relatives.

How do you think, can it be truth?

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
This sort of thing has been claimed by people with agendas. There have been no references found to it in original sources.

American blacks are partly native American because there were native American slaves. They are partly white because of sex with slaves by slave owners, slave owner's sons, overseers, and so on.

It would be interesting if some blacks have white along the female line, which could be tested. However, that wouldn't prove what you are mentioning. There was some involvement of white indentured servants and slaves, but not necessarily intentional by the owner as you suggest. Also, there were relationships between slave men and white women, both owner's family members and poor white women. However, there was much more involvement / abuse of slave women by slave owners etc.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Did white slaves exist? I understand that this wasnt in XIX century. But in XVIII?
There were many white indentured servants. Most were sentenced or their death sentences were commuted to 7 or 14 years on plantations for crimes. There were large numbers of Irish indentured servants from Cromwell's reconquest of Ireland. Indentured servants were generally treated worse than slaves, because the masters had no economic interest in their health or survival. It used to be thought indentured servants agreed to service voluntarily for passage, but this was not the usual case. Under English law, Christians could not be slaves. Some Africans who were baptized in Africa were treated as indentured servants.

Again, there isn't any evidence I know of from original sources for white slaves.

Certainly, there were children between black slaves and white indentured servants. Sex between white women and black men was not as taboo as it was after the Civil War. However, there is no evidence that sort of thing was planned by masters. It was also less obvious for various reasons if a black woman had a child by a white servant than vice versa.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
I have read one theory in Russian yellow press. And think now: "is it true".

Here it briefly:
"USA negroes are not AfroAmericans. But they are special breed which were created by American plantators. They crossbreeded Irish man and African women to get specy ideally fit for tobacco and cotton plantations"

Looks strange. But
1.Many american negroes have Irish surnames
2.They dont want to go to Africa
3. Many american white politics deal on the side of blacks against whites. Thats looks strange. But may be they Irish and Blacks are there relatives.

How do you think, can it be truth?
As I understand “yellow” in “yellow press” is a derogative adjective to qualify it as bad press. Correct?

Anyway that seems totally… hum… I can’t find a good adjective. Let me say “wrong”.

Even so I also find the usual qualification of AfroAmerican absurd. Most off those people are in America for centuries. Their relation with Africa is more a trend than other thing. They don’t have any close connection to Africa besides some mystified idea. The prefix could be dropped.

Did white slaves exist? I understand that this wasnt in XIX century. But in XVIII?
Slavery exists probably since mankind exists. For most of its history skin colour wasn’t an issue. The skin colour issue and the reasoning that black skin was equal to slave begun only after the 16th century with the massification of the Atlantic slave trade that had sub-Saharan Africa as the main source.

Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
I once had a class with a Black Dude named Kelly. I asked if he was one of the Black Irish and he was NOT amused. Many Slaves took on the Master's last name and were not related. Louisiana had its own variations. The old French families would often hire a Free Black Woman to be the concubine of the young sons of the family. There was contracts and customs that had to be followed. The children would be born Free and were entitled to part of the Father's estate. This cut down on STD's. There was a scarcity of available White Women in Louisiana dating back to the time before the American purchase. Respectable French women avoided coming over. Jean Lafitte's brother came over from Hispaniola and married a Free Black woman.

I went to a McNeese State Basketball game a few years back and saw a young lady that went to a school I once taught at. She was there with her mother and we ended up sitting close enough to talk. McNeese had two fine Basketball players (one Black and one White, same last name). I made a remark about the Richard cousins on the same team. She told me I was lying, but her mother knew about French families having a white side and a black side. She corrected her daughter!

Last I heard the Black Richard was playing profesional in Europe.

Louisiana has some of the most beautiful women in the world. That includes the light skinned Blacks. My ex-wife had a friend that would hang around her at Catholic school. She had wavy Brown hair, Hazel eyes, white skin, freckles and was quite beautiful. I gave serious consideration to asking her out and dumping my future ex. She eventually met a White salesman and ended up in the state of Iowa. I don't doubt her children are considered White up there. The only way I could tell she was Black was her speech.

One night we got a phone call from my brother in law. He was arrested for Drunk Driving and in the Parish Jail. He was acting stupid and we went there as fast as we could. Drunks tend to fall down in the shower a lot down here. The Drunk Tank was near the entrance and we stood there after signed his bail bond. We kept waiting and waiting so I finally asked what the problem was. It seems there was a warrant out for a man with same name from Eunice. I looked at a print out and laughed. I said "Does my Brother in Law look Black to you?" . We left shortly after. The Black man could have been a distant cousin as my Father in Law was from a farm just North of Eunice!

Beware of making assumptions about the Irish and the Slaves!

Pruitt

Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
By the way a lot of Africans are still coming in. One of my nieces married a Nigerian. He is short and round and plays Trombone in the Dallas Symphony Orchestra with my niece. I have not heard of her coming down to Sulphur with him yet.

Pruitt

Feb 2016
Japan
Most African Americans have English, Irish or Scottish names because when they were made into slaves their master would pick their names for them. Irish owners gave Irish names.
Sometimes when they were freed they might take the name of
1) the former owner if they liked him.
2) a white surname they had heard and liked.
3) a place name where they were based.
But mostly they were given names by masters.
That’s what I have read.

Last edited:

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Does anyone know approximately how many slaves had surnames? The only examples I can think of are Sally Hemmings and Dred Scot, but I can't think of any historical slaves who just had a single, first name or Christian name. I had always assumed most slaves acquired their surnames upon gaining freedom.