IrishAfroAmericans

Offspring

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
România
Deleted.

I'm certain I clicked edit, so I don't know why a new reply appeared.

Later edit: oh, I then clicked "reply" and that went to the "post reply" window without me realising it.

Last edited:

Theodoric

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
Irish-sounding last names: Eddie Murphy, Isaac Hayes, Mariah Carey, Dizzy Gillespie, Toni Morrison and H. Carl McCall.
Mariah Carey‘s 1/4th African American. Her last name comes from her paternal grandfather, who was Venezuelan; his original last name was Nunez, he made up the name “Carey” when moving to New York because he thought it sounded more American. He wasn’t aware it was Irish. Interesting enough, her mother is an opera singer Irish American descent.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
@Code Blue

Surname: Shaquille O'Neal / anglicised form of the gaelic Ua Niall / meaning grandson of Niall/ Neal.

First name: O'Shea Jackson /O'Shea is another anglicised gaelic name / It is Ice Cube's first name /meaning descendant of Shea.
I knew someone would find one when I made the post. If we come up with a few more, it might approach 1 in a million with o-apostrophe surnames.

Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
I remember watching "Go For Broke" a movie about the 442nd Regimental Combat Team (Nisei). One of the new guys comes in laughing saying "Ohara here! another of the Yokohama Irish!".

Pruitt