Ironic Moments in History: please add your suggestions!

May 2017
France
1804:Napoleon prepare the Civil Code.Cambacérès allways come with 30 minuts late.
"Cambacérès,you are the shame of France,you are Nothing….."
"Sir,i was with a beautiful woman...…."
"For the next convocation,you will say to your woman to take his sword,his pair of boots,his helmet and to go away !!!!!".

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
After college, Albert Einstein was rejected by every graduate school to which he applied and had to accept a low paying civil service job to survive. After he became famous he emigrated to the US (1933) but never learned to drive and occasionally lost his paychecks.

Did Albert Einstein never learn to drive?

"The professor does not drive," Elsa [Einstein's wife] often said. "It's too complicated for him."

Last edited:
May 2017
France
During his studies in the university,the famous autor of littérature Paul Valery was looking for a modest job in the archives of the army,in the castle of Vincennes.He presented his candidature to a job category D,consisting at carrying parks of documents with a grey jacket…But in "french" he obtained the ridiculous mark of 3/20.His corrector,teacher of littérature in the Sorbonne, had written:"nebulous spirit,he doesn t know what he said,man without future,his place is in a bad newspaper to speak about the "chiens ecrases" (current events)".The document of his candidature was conserved in Vincennes;an anonymous hand has written in the part "particularity":"proposed for the nobel price of littérature at ten occasions".

May 2017
France
During his studies in the university,the famous filosof Gaston Bachelard worked at the treatment of the letters in the big post of the "East station",in the north of Paris.When he obtained his licence,he presented his candidature to a job of inspector,category A,without knowing that his inspector of the East station had the right to inform the administration with a special rapport.
Full of jalousy,this man had wrotten:"Bachelard is more done for the relexion and the speaking,than for the work and realization:hesitates systematically,even if never made errors.Dangerous element;each time he speaks,all the people stop to work,made the crown all around him,listening him with the mouth opened,during long minutes.Incompetent".He failed his project.An anonymous hand had finally written on his candidature,in the part "particularity":autor of 38 treaties of filosofy.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
John VI Kantakouzenos inviting the Ottomans to come to Europe to help him in the civil war that raged in Byzantium at the time. Of course, the Ottomans would later be the ones that would end Byzantium.
If that counts, why not having Kerensky arm the Bolsheviks in order to help him protect Petrograd from Lavr Kornilov's coup attempt in the summer of 1917 not likewise count for this? I mean, weren't the Bolsheviks able to use the weapons that they got from Kerensky to subsequently overthrow him and his Provisional Government?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I was reading about ancient Carthage and how they plundered the silver in Spain (and enslaved the iberians) ... just as Spain was to do in the 'New World" 1500 years later. I found this amusing and interesting.....

If you define Irony (Situational/Dramatic) as ".... wryly amusing, .... the full significance of a character's words or actions is clear to the audience (in the future) although unknown to the character...."
What about, in addition to my 1917 Kerensky/Bolsheviks example above, the fact that Third Worlders were previously enthusiastic about gaining independence from the "White man" but are nowadays subsequently very eager to move to White-majority countries?

Nov 2016
Australia
What about, in addition to my 1917 Kerensky/Bolsheviks example above, the fact that Third Worlders were previously enthusiastic about gaining independence from the "White man" but are nowadays subsequently very eager to move to White-majority countries?
yeah...no.... that sounds racist.

Similar History Discussions