Is Albania the least remarkable country in Europe?

Sep 2012
Bulgaria
I just learnt that Radovan Karadzich was born in Montenegro a few months before the establishment of the people's republic. Slobodan Miloshevich' ancestors belonged to Vasojevići, the largest of the historical Montenegrin tribes. Also i read some articles that claim that Montenegrins are in fact slavicized Albanians. Back to the OP - Albania.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
I just learnt that Radovan Karadzich was born in Montenegro a few months before the establishment of the people's republic. Slobodan Miloshevich' ancestors belonged to Vasojevići, the largest of the historical Montenegrin tribes. Also i read some articles that claim that Montenegrins are in fact slavicized Albanians. Back to the OP - Albania.
If the discussion about theory of the slavicized Albanians is of further interest: LINK

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
What about Skopje if you dont believe the myth that Alexander was a slav from skopje they dont have absolutely nothing interesting or remarkable
Well, I always wanted to see Kale and Matka. I still hope I'll manage to do that.

But it's true that I have the bad habit to be interested by un-interesant and un-remarkable things and places.

Jun 2017
Connecticut
No. It's close but too many European countries that only nominally exist in terms of territory and population for Albania to be the least important. Albania is certainly close to or maybe even at the bottom of the list when you take out said countries that many educated people don't even know exist(San Marino etc).

Jan 2015
Bosnia and Herzegovina
What about Andorra, Luxembourg, San Marino, Liechtenstein and Moldova?
I may not know enough about them given they're tiny countries, but I'm interested what they've contributed to the world that puts them ahead of Albanians?

The only thing I know is Stephen the Great of Moldova, which rivals Skenderbeg, I guess.

Jun 2017
Connecticut
What about Andorra, Luxembourg, San Marino, Liechtenstein and Moldova?
I may not know enough about them given they're tiny countries, but I'm interested what they've contributed to the world that puts them ahead of Albanians?

The only thing I know is Stephen the Great of Moldova, which rivals Skenderbeg, I guess.
Luxembourg historically is more important than all of those countries and quite a few more major ones as the family for whom the duchy is named once were rivals of the Hapsburgs. The rest? I think the burden of proof rests more on the nominal countries. San Marino is about the same size and population as the small town I am typing this from. Moldova maybe?

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Luxembourg historically is more important than all of those countries and quite a few more major ones as the family for whom the duchy is named once were rivals of the Hapsburgs. The rest? I think the burden of proof rests more on the nominal countries. San Marino is about the same size and population as the small town I am typing this from. Moldova maybe?
So were the Přemyslids and Cilliers, don't really see how being a rival of the Habsburgs is that terribly important when they all lost to them sooner or later. The only thing Luxembourg is remarkable for is that it still exists, considering how often it was partitioned among the big guys around it.

Sure, like @Xilaw said, I too don't know even roughly enough about all those countries to judge them fairly (and I don't want to sound disrespectful). Even if I did, how do you determine who's more important - Skenderbeg (who might not even be Albanian) or Stephen the Great of Moldova? What is left if you take away these two? Hoxha and Transnistria? Folklore and goat cheese? I guess you can sell the latter ...

Jun 2017
Connecticut
So were the Přemyslids and Cilliers, don't really see how being a rival of the Habsburgs is that terribly important when they all lost to them sooner or later. The only thing Luxembourg is remarkable for is that it still exists, considering how often it was partitioned among the big guys around it.

Sure, like @Xilaw said, I too don't know even roughly enough about all those countries to judge them fairly (and I don't want to sound disrespectful). Even if I did, how do you determine who's more important - Skenderbeg (who might not even be Albanian) or Stephen the Great of Moldova? What is left if you take away these two? Hoxha and Transnistria? Folklore and goat cheese? I guess you can sell the latter ...
Well to rephrase that the Haspburgs were their rivals and the Luxembourgs actually ended up ceding their crowns to the Hapsburgs through marriage(after freezing the Hapsburgs out of the electoral college in 1356) after going extinct in the male line(this is ignored because the Hapsburgs lost some of these lands before reacquiring them in a complicated fifty year situation that's quite fascinating). The Luxembourgs didn't actually "lose" per say so much as the dynasty ended. If the Luxembourgs didn't go extinct in the male line, the Hapsburgs would be the footnote in European history. The Hapsburgs emerged from the Luxembourg's shadow as the perpetual Holy Roman Emperor's they did not "win" that distinction, same if the Hapsburgs went extinct and Bavarians started getting elected. The core of the Hapsburg realms save Austria were the Luxembourg's territories. What little remains of Luxembourg proper(which was conquered from the family by Burgundy) is just a ghost of what was one of the most powerful dynasties of the late Middle Ages.

Besides Moldova these are mostly countries that are small enough where they stretch the definition of country.

Nov 2018
London
In terms of civilization you have a point but in terms of history, albania is the most important country in the balkans defeating the HUGE ottoman army for over 30 years straight, an army feared by the rest of europe so much that they refused to take part. In comparison, europeans were defeated by ottoman rather easily: Battle of Nicopolis - Wikipedia

Albanians also helped destroy the ottoman at sea in the battle of lepanto 100 years after kastriotis passing. Youll find most albanians doing construction work due to their determination and physical strength/skill. Their genes are most pure of balkan people, you can spot an albanian man a lot easier than other ethnicities

Last edited:
Dec 2015
USA
I respect Albania for the legacy of Skanderberg, the Albanian hero of the middle ages whom was born Christian, become Muslim but then again became Christian. I also respect Albanian people for the Albanian contribution to WW2.

Albanian was the poorest country in Europe during WW2. And Italy, known for being a bully during WW2, went in to invade poor Albania in 1939. Many Albanian elite and rich fled at the sight of the Italian invasion, but Albanian everyday people like Mujo Ulqankau and Abaz Kupi did what they could and held out for a few days against all odds against a vastly superior Italian force. At the Battle of Durres and in a losing effort the Albanian side miraculously inflicted casualties on the Italians compared to vs versa. Monarchists and liberal Albanian alike , everyday Albanian people opposed and resisted the Axis occupation of Albania during WW2.