Is Albania the least remarkable country in Europe?

Feb 2015
south Slavic guy
Yes. Albania is definitely on top of that list as a country which influence wasn't that great, even in its own area, let alone in the bigger European picture.

I bet there are a lot of Europeans who don't even know where Albania is situated.

Jan 2015
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Many influential people in the Ottoman Empire were of Albanian origin, though. That's gotta count for something. Granted they didn't work for the benefit of their own cultural and ethnic background.

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
What about Andorra, Luxembourg, San Marino, Liechtenstein and Moldova?
I may not know enough about them given they're tiny countries, but I'm interested what they've contributed to the world that puts them ahead of Albanians?

The only thing I know is Stephen the Great of Moldova, which rivals Skenderbeg, I guess.
Re: "Moldova", please see my couple of posts here: Why did the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991?. E.g. Putna Monastery, where the tomb of Stephen the Great is, is in Romania.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Cornwall
Yes. Albania is definitely on top of that list as a country which influence wasn't that great, even in its own area, let alone in the bigger European picture.

I bet there are a lot of Europeans who don't even know where Albania is situated.
Or even a lot of 'people'?

Looks quite interesting on the travel programmes these days. You just know though, that on the ground it's going to be dodgy as hell. I'll give it a miss for now.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Or even a lot of 'people'?

Looks quite interesting on the travel programmes these days. You just know though, that on the ground it's going to be dodgy as hell. I'll give it a miss for now.
There are certain places on the seaside where you can get good accomodation, food and nightlife for very decent money, but like you said - it can get dodgy very quickly. Especially because noone speaks Albanian. I like traveling across the former Yugoslav republics because I know Serbo-Croatian well enough that they can't "sell" me. With Albanian I only know këpucët and a few curses and given the reputation they have over here ... Idk. People say Tirana isn't that bad either although seeing all the Mercedes cars (the vast majority of them stolen from Western Europe, no joke) creates a funny feeling. I certainly wouldn't just go trekking in the countryside.

Jan 2015
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Re: "Moldova", please see my couple of posts here: Why did the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991?. E.g. Putna Monastery, where the tomb of Stephen the Great is, is in Romania.
I am aware of the delicate issue with Romania and Moldova. I was referring to the first thing that comes to mind when hearing Moldova. Stephen just happened to rule such a principality in the past. As far as I'm concerned both countries deserve to have him as a national hero.

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
I am aware of the delicate issue with Romania and Moldova. I was referring to the first thing that comes to mind when hearing Moldova. Stephen just happened to rule such a principality in the past. As far as I'm concerned both countries deserve to have him as a national hero.
The historical Principality of Moldavia self-dissolved by uniting with the Principality of Wallachia and forming the Romanian State, which is its only true heir. No one denies that the Republic of Moldova is entitled to have Stephen the Great as its hero, the problem is that I too often saw "the Republic of Moldova" confused and equated with "Moldova/Moldavia", something which is a serious mistake: as I wrote in the other thread, the Moldova River (from where the name "Moldova/Moldavia", because Baia was its first center) flows in Romania, not in the Republic of Moldova, and all the capitals that the Principality of Moldavia had (BTW, this was the last one: Iași - Wikipedia) are on the territory of Romania, not of the Republic of Moldova.

Last edited:

Shaheen

Ad Honorem
May 2011
Sweden
Many influential people in the Ottoman Empire were of Albanian origin, though. That's gotta count for something. Granted they didn't work for the benefit of their own cultural and ethnic background.
Most notably during the Koprulu era, when successive Grand Viziers belonged to the Albanian Koprulu family. Then there's Muhammad Ali of Egypt. Also was there not an Albanian Pope at one point? Plenty of significant characters in European history belong to the Albanian ethnic group, although as you pointed out they did not seem to always work for the benefit of their own ethnic group.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Most notably during the Koprulu era, when successive Grand Viziers belonged to the Albanian Koprulu family. Then there's Muhammad Ali of Egypt. Also was there not an Albanian Pope at one point? Plenty of significant characters in European history belong to the Albanian ethnic group, although as you pointed out they did not seem to always work for the benefit of their own ethnic group.
And that's the whole point. OP is asking about the country, not the people. So do then these achievenents count or nay?