Is Albania the least remarkable country in Europe?

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Wasn't Albania already perceived as being a failed state even in the 1910s, though? I seem to recall Greece, Italy, and Serbia/Yugoslavia wanting to partition Albania after WWI and only being stopped by US President Woodrow Wilson.
In fact, that Greek "envy" of the Southern part of Albania would be a factor in how World War II developed in 1941. That is possibly the largest "ultimate consequence" of the Old Powers' decision to support the Albanian state in 1912. I think Lloyd George's government was also supportive of keeping the Italians and Greeks out of Albania.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
In fact, that Greek "envy" of the Southern part of Albania would be a factor in how World War II developed in 1941. That is possibly the largest "ultimate consequence" of the Old Powers' decision to support the Albanian state in 1912. I think Lloyd George's government was also supportive of keeping the Italians and Greeks out of Albania.
Are you suggesting that the Nazis invaded Greece because it conquered the southern part of Italian-controlled Albania?

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Are you suggesting that the Nazis invaded Greece because it conquered the southern part of Italian-controlled Albania?
Yes, absolutely the timing of the German offensive against both Yugoslavia and Greece was determined by the Greek success in the Italo-Greek War.

Reactions: Futurist