Is America the Evil Empire ?

May 2018
Ramgarh
China colonized for two hundred years? By whom?

As to growth rates: Let's take two economies. One economy has a GDP of 100 and the other GDP of 1000.

The first economy grows its GDP by 10 so that in year two, its GDP is 110. The second grows its GDP by 50 so that in year two, its GDP is 1050. So the second economy increased its GDP by five times that of the first.

GDP in the first is growing at 10 percent per year over the two year period, no? What's the percentage growth in the second?
China was colonized by the UK, USA, Japan,Germany, France, etc after the Opium War. Where the British forced them to buy drugs.

So let's take your second question a little further. In 100 years, the economy of the first country will be 2,206,000. The economy of the second will be 148,000 - less than one tenth of economy one

The power of compounding!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_and_chessboard_problem

Last edited:
Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
China was colonized by the UK, USA, Japan,Germany, France, etc after the Opium War. Where the British forced them to buy drugs.

So let's take your second question a little further. In 100 years, the economy of the first country will be 2,206,000. The economy of the second will be 148,000 - less than one tenth of economy one

The power of compounding!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_and_chessboard_problem
Some authority for your first proposition please. I know about the Opium War, but don't see that that amounts to "subjection to colonialism for 200 years" as you claimed in the comment I responded to.

While I understand compounding, no economic trend continues for one hundred years. China is slowing now while the US is growing more rapidly. My purpose was to point out the problem with use of rate of growth. I don't know what's going to happen economically in the next five years, let alone 100, and, I venture to guess, neither do you.

Last edited:
May 2018
Ramgarh
Some authority for your first proposition please. I know about the Opium War, but don't see that that amounts to "subjection to colonialism for 200 years" as you claimed in the comment I responded to.

While I understand compounding, no economic trend continues for one hundred years. China is slowing now while the US is growing more rapidly. My purpose was to point out the problem with use of rate of growth. I don't know what's going to happen economically in the next five years, let alone 100, and, I venture to guess, neither do you.
We don't know what's going to happen in the next minute. We pick the most statistically likely possibility.

And here are some other facts. GDP growth depends on productivity growth. The US growth this year is due to the large deficit budget Trump ran, instead of any productivity growth. Whereas Chinese workers still have large productivity gains left to make.

Which means that the long term difference in GDP growth rates between China and the USA will remain 5 percent. Which will lead to the Chinese economy become three to four times larger than the US one in 100 years. You see, China and India were the world's largest economies for the last 3000 years. Till 1850 A.D. So when they become the worlds largest economies again, it will be a historical restoration.

Sep 2017
United States
America has a good heart - even if things don't always look that way.

I exclude Trump from that judgement. I have never seen a US President that mean and petty. You guys have to throw him out in 2020. For World Peace!
I'm not giving my opinion if I think its evil or not... but if it is, nowhere else I'd rather be. :lol:

Eh, Trump is more just a disappointment than anything. I thought he had a real chance at shaking things up and had a little bit more of a hidden vision, but the only thing he is actually good for is comedy.

royal744

Ad Honorem
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
I see either China or India...

With Russia building new gas lines that cross into numerous East European and West European countries, and with its growing dominance in oil production, this is also a possibility, although with a decreasing Russian population and an abundance of unemployed citizens, the economy has a way to go before Russia can claim that it has truly stood on its feet.
India? Give me a break. Not happening. For all the current hype about India, its educated classes and niversities are top-notch, but overall India is a poor country with an entrenched and hostile neigh or next door.

China? Maybe, but I doubt it. Probably the most likely candidate, but still a long way off.

Russia is not rising either. Canada has the 3rd largest oil reserves. The US may be the largest oil producer in the world today, but it matters little as the US economy is highly diversified. Can’t say the same thing for the Russians whose wealth comes from an extraction-based economy. Oil, however isn’t the key anymore: just have a look at Venezuela (with world’s largest oil reserves) which is on a rocket sled down to complete chaos.

Similar History Discussions