Is American freedom superior to European freedom?

Jan 2014
Westmorland
I`m not sure what you mean, Peter. Would you please explain in more detail?
Of course.

Both political extremes (left and right) believe that the Police are the bully-boys of the other side. So, when Black Flag anarchists and Trots come up against the Police, they accuse them of being the strong arm of a right-wing, fascist state, propped up by entrenched privilege. The police are made to fit a narrative which is, of course, utterly preposterous.

The far right do the same thing, but the other way round. For them, the state is a leftist conspiracy, propped up by dumbass metropolitan liberal elites. That is equally preposterous.

They can't both be right and, in reality, neither of them are. Extremists live on conspiracy. It's the only way they can persuade themselves that they are not actually extremists at all, but are instead decent folk blessed with a great wisdom which allows them to see through the veil at what is really going on.

My point (with which I think you may agree) is that the British Police are actually a body we can generally be proud of. Not perfect, of course, and subject to rightful criticism from time to time, but nonetheless public servants who take the British notion of policing by consent very seriously indeed. They are no-one's stooges or bully-boys.

After all, if you had lost a child or had just been robbed in the street, who would you go to?

Last edited:
Nov 2008
England
My point (with which I think you may agree) is that the British Police are actually a body we can generally be proud of. Not perfect, of course, and subject to rightful criticism from time to time, but nonetheless public servants who take the British notion of policing by consent very seriously indeed.

Yes, Peter, I do agree with you. Indeed, Robert Peel forming the Metropolitan Police and the Nine Principles of Policing, are very interesting historical subjects in their own right. We here in the UK should be grateful our police take policing by consent seriously.

Sep 2015
The Eastern Hinterlands
The American system on such matters is much better, no question about it. America's roots hail from people who left Europe's oppressive systems to start their own improvement in the new land. Europe would do well to learn and follow as Europe's social climate and demographic have turned very much the way America is/was.

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Yes, that is certainly sinister and marks a departure form any proper system of law, in which people are held accountable for clearly defined offences; what worries me most is that many apparently sensible people don't seem to be concerned about this introduction of thoughtcrime (because they regard the aims as good, and the ends as thus justifying the means).

Sindane

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Europe
..."Thoughtcrime' is real...

Would you call the police 'hurty-feelings helpline'? | Julia Hartley-Brewer

South Yorkshire Police are encouraging people to report non-criminal hate. What is it and do the police have the right to know? Watch the full debate between Julia Hartley-Brewer and South Yorkshire's Police & Crime Commissioner Dr Alan Billings.

Apr 2015
Canada
The US houses 22% of the worlds prisoners. Let that sink in for a moment before we start asking whether American freedom is superior to European freedom.