Is American freedom superior to European freedom?

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Jury duty has always confused me. If I was accused of a false charge then a collection of people with no knowledge of the law are the last people I want judging me.
If I was being railroaded by the police and the public prosecutor the last person I would trust is a judge who was produced by the same blind, heartless, and possibly corrupt institutions that were railroading me. Give me a jury composed of my fellow citizens everytime. They have the common sense of the people, not the bureaucratic mentality of civil servants.

Jan 2019
US
"Freedom" used here is rather vague. I will post an interesting quote that this thread called to mind, though:

The master...says, "You are free not to think like me, and you will keep your life and your goods and everything else, but from this day forward you are a stranger among us...You will remain among men, but you will lose your rights to humanity...So in peace, I leave you your life, but the life I leave you is worth than death." - Tocqueville, regarding American freedom, from Tocqueville's Discovery of America by Leo Damrosch
I think that this kind of unspoken law is very prevalent in the US at the moment, especially among my generation (millennial). In light of it, I don't think the fact that there are fewer legal restrictions on certain freedoms and rights in the US necessarily means that we are actually freer as a society and as individuals. My legal right to say whatever I want is only valuable so far as it doesn't get me kicked out of school or a job. Maybe I won't get hauled off to jail, but I will still pay the price. In this sense, I think that America is actually no less oppressive than many European countries, a comparison depending on culture rather than politics. For many reasons, American culture is extremely conformity-focused. The only difference that I can see is that internal diversity means there are always significant groups competing to enforce conformity to their particular creed, cancelling each other out. There isn't freedom, per say, just clashing interests that result in compromise which, more often than not, results in begrudging freedom for either side.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
"Freedom" used here is rather vague. I will post an interesting quote that this thread called to mind, though:

I think that this kind of unspoken law is very prevalent in the US at the moment, especially among my generation (millennial). In light of it, I don't think the fact that there are fewer legal restrictions on certain freedoms and rights in the US necessarily means that we are actually freer as a society and as individuals. My legal right to say whatever I want is only valuable so far as it doesn't get me kicked out of school or a job. Maybe I won't get hauled off to jail, but I will still pay the price. In this sense, I think that America is actually no less oppressive than many European countries, a comparison depending on culture rather than politics. For many reasons, American culture is extremely conformity-focused. The only difference that I can see is that internal diversity means there are always significant groups competing to enforce conformity to their particular creed, cancelling each other out. There isn't freedom, per say, just clashing interests that result in compromise which, more often than not, results in begrudging freedom for either side.
All societies are "conformity focused" as you put it rightly....

The difference is that in some societies this conformity is put into law, and you'll be jailed or even killed if you do not conform (an extreme example is apostasy laws in countries that basically say "conform to our religion or we will kill you")... Where as in the US you can be quite excentric and the religious police or other police will not knock down your door to beat you up and take you in.....

Things are getting worse however with some people regretting that the law is not on their side..... so the self appointed "thought police" tries to enforce rightthink (as per Orwell) by hounding those who dont conform , getting them fired from their jobs etc....

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
Yes I agree that the whole American continent is superior to Europe, see the pictures.

thief - in portuguêse ladrão gatuno

thief - portuguese slang »» Chouriço chorizo

heheheh joke