Is atheism a religion?

Port

Ad Honorem
Feb 2013
portland maine
The number of people who check off none when asked about religious orientation has risen dramatically. For those who identify them selves as atheists. Has atheism become another form of religion that does not have some form of god?

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Atheism is an opinion about God and therefore entitled to the same legal protection as any other opinion about God. Governments that profess to be neutral on the question of God can not be neutral on just those opinions about the positive existance of God. They must also be neutral about opinions on the non-existance of God or skepticism about God.

Jan 2016
Victoria, Canada
No. Agnosticism is a lack of belief either way, and atheism is an assertion about the non-existence of something based on a lack of evidence and/or evidence against the possibility of that thing existing. Some people make atheism a large part of their identity, which can manifest itself in similarly obnoxious ways as with preachy religious folks, but the opinion itself is arrived at through fundamentally different means. Atheism does not demand faith, but is instead the result of its explicit rejection as a channel through which truth can be revealed. Most atheists prefer the scientific method as the best way of building up reliable knowledge about reality, but even that isn't really necessary; as atheism is the lack of belief in something, you don't actually have to prefer any specific method of revealing truth to be an atheist, you just have to disagree with those founded on faith. So no, atheism isn't anything like a religion, just an opinion on the existence of a thing religions tend to concern themselves with, God, arrived at through many means.

Edratman

Ad Honorem
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
Oxford Dictionary defines religion as the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. There isn't a single, irrefutable definition of religion that is accepted by everyone, but the Oxford Dictionary definition is sufficient for me.

Ergo, the answer is a resounding No!

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
The number of people who check off none when asked about religious orientation has risen dramatically. For those who identify them selves as atheists. Has atheism become another form of religion that does not have some form of god?
For me it seems that you are asking something like: Is the absence of religion itself a religion? For some the answer is obvious.

Atheism is an opinion about God and therefore entitled to the same legal protection as any other opinion about God. Governments that profess to be neutral on the question of God can not be neutral on just those opinions about the positive existance of God. They must also be neutral about opinions on the non-existance of God or skepticism about God.
I think that question was not on the OP line. And I must say that I never thought in that line. I am even a bit surprised that someone have thought, seem for me it is quite obvious. Many of the first that professed the separation of the state from the church were atheists.

Atheism at its core is simply disbelieving claims that there is a god/are gods. It's a position of 'I have not been convinced, and so I do not believe your claim.' One, however, can be an agnostic atheist or a gnostic atheist. Whereas theism and atheism describe positions on belief, agnosticism and gnosticism describe positions on knowledge. So an agnostic atheist simply disbelieves god claims. A gnostic atheist asserts that there are no gods; they themselves make a claim about the nature of reality.

Oct 2018
Bangalore,India
Multiple ways of seeing it. Religion also cannot be put into boxes. There are so many different kinds of them that they dont fit into such boxes. Atheism again,cannot be put into a box. There are many diverse views and opinions within the Agnostic/Atheist community. Atheism can qualify as religion and at the same time cannot just like various religions.

Dec 2013
USA
I have noticed that many Atheists spend more time pondering God than the average Christian, etc. When I tell them that they look miffed, think for a second, then nod in agreement.

Apr 2017
Lemuria
The best way to explore the god question is through the atheist pathway, ironically. That God exists is not a sustainable claim without a substantial body of evidence on the same level as Theory of Gravitation or Evolution to back it up. So far all Earth religions are basically superstitions and not adequate to explore the God question.

Similar History Discussions