Is atheism a religion?

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
But, this is not the case with a "worldview" which can be based on valid logic.

Aspects or components of the "religious worldview" may be based on faith that may be irrational, non-rational or rational.

Atheism only means non-belief in a god.

Atheism at its core does not say that there is no god. Only that there is no evidence for god.

This leaves open a wide area for non-rational beliefs and doctrines that have a valid logical unity. Of course, and I agree with you here, truth-claims cannot be made one way or the other if there is contrary evidential claims.

RE:
Karl Popper: the problem with induction
Thomas Kuhn: paradigms in thought, scientific revolutions
Raoul Vaneigem: religious/economic forces shaping western culture, non-traditional religious movements
Would all the atheists here agree with the 3d and 4th sentences?

Last edited:
Would all the atheists here agree with the 3d and 4th sentences?

For the record, I don’t make a truth claim about God: I believe God exists but I don’t posit this as a truth that can be scientifically proved or disproved. I think that statements about God, like statements about morals or beauty, are in a different category from statements of fact.
I agree with the third and fourth statements, because I make a distinction between agnostic and gnostic atheism, but some users here seem to regard gnostic atheism as simply atheism, and agnostic atheism as simply agnosticism. But I adopt the position that atheism/theism are positions on belief in deities, whereas agnosticism/gnosticism are positions on knowledge.

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Atheism is the non-belief in a god, but the non-existance of any god must also be taken on faith. Any honest Christian must admit the lack of evidence of God. Both Christians and atheists base their opinions on faith.

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Atheism is the non-belief in a god, but the non-existance of any god must also be taken on faith. Any honest Christian must admit the lack of evidence of God. Both Christians and atheists base their opinions on faith.
It's all a human construct; take out the humans and it would be over and the universe wouldn't care.

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Is it possible to be a materialist without being an atheist?
Some scientists pull it off, perhaps through compartmentalization or by having a very elastic interpretation of religious cosmogeny.
I suspect in the past it was more common to interpret religious texts figuratively. The best use of Christianity is to teach us how to be better people - 'Do unto others as you want others to do unto you,' etc. One can be a Christian without believing in Genesis or in miracles, etc.

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
I suspect in the past it was more common to interpret religious texts figuratively. The best use of Christianity is to teach us how to be better people - 'Do unto others as you want others to do unto you,' etc. One can be a Christian without believing in Genesis or in miracles, etc.
I think you're right, but for me, I would have to have a plausible cosmogony and explanation of reality for it to be anything more than a myth, and at least with Christianity, there are so many denominations, those folks could find the right one to join up with.

Dec 2011
False. There is some bifurcation in the first sentence. IOW, a seemingly reliance on two options. The third option is (introducing a third position into the conversation): Atheism is the non-belief in a god and the non-existence of a supernatural entity has not been proven (because you can't prove a negative).

I am not making an assertion or making a proposition that requires faith. All I need to do, the only stance I need to take to be an atheist, is a disbelief in a god or gods. I don't have to have faith in my stance because evidence bears it out or grounds it in a logical reality. It is a logically valid position.

Example:
I don't say that my position on eating to stay alive is one of faith. To do so would be silly. Right ? I base my POV on eating to stay alive on evidence. A position of faith would have to be one where I said that I will not eat or drink for a year and god will keep me alive. Since I have no evidence or logical ground for this stance I must therefore take it on faith. So, faith is the opposite of a grounded or logically valid position.​

Atheists by definition, unequivocally, DO NOT base their opinion on faith.

Again, atheism is nothing more than a non-belief in god. Any accretion to that definition is superfluous.

This position is consistent with the Popperian fallibilist view that we cannot prove anything. We can test. We can develop evidence. But we cannot make categorical assertions that we cannot test or exhibit evidence with. It would be a cardinal error to assign any truth value on something that cannot be tested or falsified.

Last edited:
Dec 2011
Both Christians and atheists base their opinions on faith.
faith
/fāTH/
noun
noun: faith
complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
"this restores one's faith in politicians"
synonyms:trust, belief, confidence, conviction, credence, reliance, dependence; More
optimism, hopefulness, hope, expectation
"he completely justified his boss's faith in him"

antonyms:mistrust
strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
synonyms:religion, church, sect, denomination, persuasion, religious persuasion, religious belief, belief, code of belief, ideology, creed, teaching, dogma, doctrine
"she gave her life for her faith"
As an atheist I do not express complete trust or confidence in the idea of no god. I do not exhibit any of the synonyms that are associated with any stance that cannot be proven.

As an atheist I ONLY express a disbelief in a god or gods.

How would one say that I have "faith" as an atheist without admitting an accretion of superfluous attributions to the core concept of atheism ?

To wit:
a·the·ism
/ˈāTHēˌizəm/
noun
noun: atheism
  1. disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.
    synonyms:nonbelief, nontheism, disbelief, unbelief, scepticism, doubt, agnosticism, irreligion, godlessness, ungodliness, profaneness, impiety, heresy, apostasy, paganism, heathenism, freethinking, nihilism
    "the poet was accused of atheism and exiled"

Similar History Discussions