Is being straight or gay genetic and fixed?

Feb 2016
Japan
While this is true for a short period of our history, say the last 4000-5000 years. For the first 20-30 000 years of it I doubt there was any social conventions on sexuality. Primitives, and I’m talking about the very earliest groups of humans would have had social groups closer to chimp/ape clans than anything else... so any purely homosexual genes would have died out eventually, there would have been no forced marriage, no need to breed... those who had no desire to breed would not have, those only interested in intercourse with their own gender would have... it would have been a bit rapey in some situations.
So you see while we agree, yes, for the last few thousand years many homosexual men and women still perused hetro relationships, this was done out of religious, cultural or social pressures which I acknowledge.
At the same time I think humanity predates such conventions for far longer and the preceding millennia’s would have seen them extinct if it was hereditary.

So, I still personally believe it can’t be unless it’s a fairly recent mutation?
And the idea that it’s a biological result of hormone exposure makes the most sense to me.

May 2017
Monterrey
While this is true for a short period of our history, say the last 4000-5000 years. For the first 20-30 000 years of it I doubt there was any social conventions on sexuality. Primitives, and I’m talking about the very earliest groups of humans would have had social groups closer to chimp/ape clans than anything else... so any purely homosexual genes would have died out eventually, there would have been no forced marriage, no need to breed... those who had no desire to breed would not have, those only interested in intercourse with their own gender would have... it would have been a bit rapey in some situations.
So you see while we agree, yes, for the last few thousand years many homosexual men and women still perused hetro relationships, this was done out of religious, cultural or social pressures which I acknowledge.
At the same time I think humanity predates such conventions for far longer and the preceding millennia’s would have seen them extinct if it was hereditary.

So, I still personally believe it can’t be unless it’s a fairly recent mutation?
And the idea that it’s a biological result of hormone exposure makes the most sense to me.
So you are arguing that there would be no social convention on sexuality, yet maintain that homosexuality would somehow been a social convention? How, again, is it impossible for a man to have sex with a woman even if he prefers men? Or for a woman to have sex with a man even is she prefers women? And once you wrap your head around that explain to me why infertility is still a thing. Maybe your view on sexuality is just very limited(you didn't even touch the subject of bisexuals)? What makes you think that a homosexual has no need to breed?