Is being straight or gay genetic and fixed?

Feb 2017
Canada
LOL, I love how you went from nearly reasonable (but unproven) to "Hold my beer" level of assurances.

1. "that it's possible"
2. "indeed, this is the case"
3. "So yes, it's genetic"

:zany:

And then you topped yourself. You claimed there are studies (plural) on only gay men and women (not bisexuals apparently, they don't count) to determine their DNA and hormonal levels, that they not only tested the individuals, but both of their parents, and they topped that off by managing to track down medical records to find their parents' hormone levels from 19-40 years earlier from when they were conceived (I'm guessing that's the age range of the test subjects).

I love this thread. All the brilliant, highly educated, and massively enlightened individuals come out to school us ignorant folk. :lol:
If I had time I would find specific studies, but I don't care about convincing anyone that much.

Here you go: Google Scholar

See for yourself.

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
If I had time I would find specific studies, but I don't care about convincing anyone that much.

Here you go: Google Scholar

See for yourself.
Right. You care enough to wait about 2 minutes after I posted for your response (which told me you're following this thread, and you were waiting for a response). And you care enough to have posted a basic search engine hyperlink.

But in a thread where you just claimed being gay (not bisexual mind you, just gay) is definitely genetics, and that you have studies that prove it, you wont prove it. You'll just spent a few minutes not providing it, and telling me you don't care.

As for your supposed study. They need to find random people agreeing to be guinea pigs for medical tests (not the best quality people to start with in the first place), who are already a time fraction of the population, who also have living parents who can get current blood work done and are themselves willing to be poked and prodded, but whom also have medical records of hormonal levels dating from a couple decades back.

You'd have better luck trying to convince me the Easter Bunny is real than that study exists and proved being gay (not bisexual mind you, just gay) is definitely genetics.

:lol:

Feb 2017
Canada
You'd have better luck trying to convince me the Easter Bunny is real than that study exists and proved being gay (not bisexual mind you, just gay) is definitely genetics.
Research takes time and effort. I've seen the research. If you (or anyone in this thread) wants to know the genetics behind homosexuality do the work yourself, I've pointed you in the right direction.

And no, I didn't make any claims about bi-sexuality.

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
Research takes time and effort. I've seen the research. If you (or anyone in this thread) wants to know the genetics behind homosexuality do the work yourself, I've pointed you in the right direction.

And no, I didn't make any claims about bi-sexuality.
FYI, You cared so little you waited 2 minutes before checking and then reposting. Seems you care a lot.

Also, I know that you didn't claim bisexuality. You think mostly same sex is explainable by genetics, but you think sometimes same sex is not. Which is freaking hilarious.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
anybody who mention genetic determinism is a gas chamber proponent

people are people , they do stuff because it feel good
the rest is literature

Jan 2016
Ohio
Although I notice if other men are attractive, I never feel any sexual feelings towards them.
It's absolutely impossible and I think majority of straight men feel the same.
I think this stems from the concept of "leagues" so many people concern themselves about. I feel any guy who doesn't agree is lying. Women do it to. People say lots don't matter, and it is true to an extant. However first impressions count. You do need to feel attracted to someone and physical beauty has been held in regard since the beginning of time.

I can look at a guy and think. "Damn, he has a nice body in terms of good aesthetics, or that he girls probably consider him more attractive than me"

I however, do not look at a man though and think "Daaaaaaaamn, I wanna bed him"

*oops, my bad for jumping starting the thread. I most def did not look at the date"

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
Actually, sounds genetic more and more. I have to find and link an article about genetics of it, but here are some interesting points.

It had been suggested that “genes for homosexuality” are located on X chromosome. Some, indeed, are, but there are genosets on autosomes, too.

There are people who carry these genes but do not engage in gay behavior. However, they have certain traits too. They are subjectively perceived as “cute” by both sexes and they statistically, have more sexual partners than average.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
"They are subjectively perceived as “cute” by both sexes and they statistically, have more sexual partners than average."

Arrggghhh! .....and I never suspected !

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
"They are subjectively perceived as “cute” by both sexes and they statistically, have more sexual partners than average."

Arrggghhh! .....and I never suspected !
:)
You know, I can understand the "more sexual partners" part (possibly having impulses to make love with both sexes but not decoding them? And instead looking for "the right partner" in one, opposite, sex?)

But why would they be perceived as "cute" by both sexes is more difficult to explain. Especially if you think about not men but women. "Cute" means...more feminine?

Anyhow, let us put it so, even "straight" carriers of genes allegedly related to "gayness" statistically differ in their sexual behavior (more partners), so there may be more gene contribution into "gayness" than we used to think.

(Honestly, what average people do in their bedrooms doesn't concern me, but I am a strong opponent of celibate laws for the priests. This is where the biggest poison lies).