Is building with wood "inferior" than building with stone?

Dec 2015
NYC
Not quite what the OP is discussing, but wood did conquer the world after all. The wooden galleon is the instrument of European colonialism. In all honesty, rather than talking about Iron and Steel Ages, we should talk about the Wood Age of the first wave of European colonialism.
We're talking about wooden architecture, not wooden boats. The topic at hand here is: is building with stone "superior" to building with wood?

Feb 2017
Latin America
We're talking about wooden architecture, not wooden boats. The topic at hand here is: is building with stone "superior" to building with wood?
For God's sake, I pointed this out. This isn't what we're talking about, yes, I just wanted to make that funny observation.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Ha! I was actually going to post one of those too. :)
These are “stavkirche” (stave churches) typically found in places like Norway. There are a couple of replica stavkirches in the US. We visited one in Wisconsin, built on a small island off of Door County in Lake Michigan.

Reactions: Todd Feinman
Jul 2019
Ghana
Russia has some pretty cool wooden churches as well, like Kizhi Pogost (17th - 18th century)
Kizhi_church_1.jpg
1024px-Kishi_church_detail_roof_02.jpg

What about the Great Buddha Hall, Daibutsuden (1709), at the Todai-Ji temple complex, Nara, Japan:
the-great-buddha-hall-or-daibutsuden-at-the-todai-ji-temple-complex-in-nara-japan-WB15J0.jpg
1-Todai-ji-Daibutsuden-awe-inspiring-Architecture-Nara-Japan-01.jpg
20180326-Nara-Todaiji-Interior-Wide.jpg
inside-the-todaiji-temple-in-nara-japan-sits-the-15-meter-tall-bronze-E1WMK3.jpg

Here's an example of a modern 18 storey wooden appartment building, Mjøstårnet, in Norway (just a little bit of concrete for the upper floors, to add weight and reduce the swaying effect):
03_mjostarnet_moelven_full.jpg
a5f9a6ca9646a1ce_org.jpg
44948-Mj_starnet-screen-1024x862-940x480.jpg

And this one, from Sweden, by Folkhem
pbfolkhemextra0024.jpg

Reactions: Todd Feinman
May 2019
Earth
I certainly wouldn't build a ship out of stone, so there's at least one form of architecture where wood isn't inferior...