Is building with wood "inferior" than building with stone?

Dec 2015
NYC
Another wooden marvel (The Hanging Temple of China):

(still stands for 1000 years, though I'm not sure if it's been repaired or left as is overtime, but it's still an impressive engineering feat. Any equivalent stone structures similar to this, or at least something made of wood built near a cliffside?)

Reactions: Todd Feinman

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Another wooden marvel (The Hanging Temple of China):

(still stands for 1000 years, though I'm not sure if it's been repaired or left as is overtime, but it's still an impressive engineering feat. Any equivalent stone structures similar to this, or at least something made of wood built near a cliffside?)
Visit Cappadocia or Petra.
Or the mountains in Europe
1576149087318.png

Sep 2019
Toronto
I would say building with wood is inferior in terms of the strength and durability of buildings. Stone buildings will last a longer time. Stone buildings are harder to destroy. This would mean that stone castles are harder to destroy than wood castles.

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
Susceptibility to fire would be the obvious difference. Historically, eventually everything burns.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
this thread is a bit silly a lot of building were using Stone and wood
while the European feudal castle had walls of stone all the ceiling and floors were made of wood
same for brick building the interior had large quantity of paneling ,wooden staircases and frames