Is China destined to become a superpower?

Nov 2014
ph
Is China destined to become a superpower in terms of overall economic strength? China can basically equalize US GDP even if its per capita output is at Croatia levels or lower. Plus it seems to be following the state subsidized capital intensive infant industry model that Japan and Korea have done successfully.

Mar 2016
Australia
An economic and military superpower, sure (arguably they already are), but like Russia they lack the geopolitical influence that the US has. They exert a lot of influence in their own regions, but not on a truly worldwide scope like the US does, and that's partly because a lot of countries actually willingly cooperate and ally with the US because they're the best choice of the three. They defend civil liberties and human rights better than either of the two alternatives do, and their cultural influence is monumental and I do not see it being lost anytime soon.

Reactions: Futurist

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
The US is also in debt of one trillion dollar to China
I know , I know to china , using the Financial nuclear bomb would be like sawing the branch one is sitting on .
it's still a pretty potent weapon

it fit the definition of diplomacy
two people sitting across a table smiling at each other while crushing the other testicles underneath
the first one who stop smiling loose

Reactions: NordicDemosthenes
Jan 2019
USA
The US is also in debt of one trillion dollar to China
I know , I know to china , using the Financial nuclear bomb would be like sawing the branch one is sitting on .
it's still a pretty potent weapon

it fit the definition of diplomacy
two people sitting across a table smiling at each other while crushing the other testicles underneath
the first one who stop smiling loose
That's not really how it works. It's not like an overdue mortgage payment. They can't just call in the debt whenever they feel like it. There is a contractual stipulation on repayment.

The US debt to China is not consequential in the scope of things. I think you're saying if they sold them off which would destroy the global economy.

Last edited:

Baldtastic

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Londinium
There have been many empires or states in history that never thought they'd loose the top spot. Similar to this, there are many states and empires in history who thought their rise to the top spot was inevitable.

History is full of surprises.

Mar 2019
KL
i dont think so

the china most probably will only remain a regional power, sure it will be able to exert a lot financially, economically, militarily etc, but i dont think china has something which will transform it into global power

nobody speaks and understands chinese except chinese people, nobody watches chinese media, nobody like even chinese communist government, chinese still lack a lot in good educational institutions compared with the west, chinese people also lack exposure to the world, japanese are a lot more exposed and have better reputation than the chinese, china doesnt have any big conglomerates like the west, even japanese and koreans have world recognised companies compared with china etc. cultural impact of china except chinese food that too restricted to USA is very low as well. USA food is known for its junk food but still manages to sell its junk food all over the world thats called entrepreneurship. The policy of china to trap poor and desperate countries in their debt and try to hegemonise their country is something which is making a lot of countries esp their own neighbours very cautious, mahatir muhammad kicked out chinese labourers and their investment from malaysia, chinese have got a very notorious reputation for acting like a colonist, USA never acted like colonist so blatantly overpowering poor and desperate nations.

regards

Jul 2016
Dengie Peninsula
Well done Ashoka, you have put precisely what I thought about Chinese world wide intentions.
And by the way , what was the last thing China invented after the Wok?
Sorry Mod, but I had to say it!

YouLoveMeYouKnowIt

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Canada
China is poised to and working hard to reclaiming a state of centrality and prestige mirroring Han and Tang times. Whatever English label you call it, like "superpower," isn't important.

Reactions: sparky

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
China , like Russia is seeking its rightful place , as they see , it in the world
this is not the "superpower" comic strip meme , that is a Western idea based on their own past and present
thus incomprehension will lead to conflict