Is China destined to become a superpower?

May 2017
China
i dont think so

the china most probably will only remain a regional power, sure it will be able to exert a lot financially, economically, militarily etc, but i dont think china has something which will transform it into global power

nobody speaks and understands chinese except chinese people, nobody watches chinese media, nobody like even chinese communist government, chinese still lack a lot in good educational institutions compared with the west, chinese people also lack exposure to the world, japanese are a lot more exposed and have better reputation than the chinese, china doesnt have any big conglomerates like the west, even japanese and koreans have world recognised companies compared with china etc. cultural impact of china except chinese food that too restricted to USA is very low as well. USA food is known for its junk food but still manages to sell its junk food all over the world thats called entrepreneurship. The policy of china to trap poor and desperate countries in their debt and try to hegemonise their country is something which is making a lot of countries esp their own neighbours very cautious, mahatir muhammad kicked out chinese labourers and their investment from malaysia, chinese have got a very notorious reputation for acting like a colonist, USA never acted like colonist so blatantly overpowering poor and desperate nations.

regards

yeah right, china must be bad evil being for indian like you right? you can not objective and fair assesment to china, so we will do the same thing on india.

many indian patriot on the internet bragging that india will be superpower in 2020 or 2030 or 2050, but all of it only utopia, you indian have no capability to fix your country properly, still have caste system despite at the same time bragging about world's largest democratic country on the planet (in term of population).

there is many world recognized chinese company, huawei are one of it.

Aug 2014
Australia
I think China has the population, military, economy, and influence to call itself a superpower. Russia stopped being a superpower when the USSR dissolved. It is still ranked 2nd as far as military strength, but it is well behind in the other three categories. Its population is smaller than Nigeria and Bangladesh. Its economy is around the same size as that of Spain and Australia. If measured per capita, it is significantly worse. California and Texas have larger economies than Russia.

Last edited:
Dec 2017
-------
Nope. It has been a regional power for thousands of years but not a global superpower. Britain was the worlds first superpower.
China will be around for another 4 thousand years long after Europe and new world are gone. Don't you think? The dominance is not controlling many parts of the world. Britain wasn't controlling many parts of the world. Russia was controlling. Take a look at Russia's territory . Russia will also not be around in the next 4 thousand years in my opinion, despite their influential president Vladimir Putin stated: if there's no Russia in the world, then we don't need such world.

Last edited:
Aug 2014
Australia
China will be around for another 4 thousand years long after Europe and new world are gone.
Not in its current form. At best China has another generation of one-party authoritarian rule.

The dominance is not controlling many parts of the world.
You have a different definition of "superpower" to everyone else.

Britain wasn't controlling many parts of the world.
Yes it was. It exerted direct power all over the world from India to large chunks of Africa to Australia. In the 19th century Britain became the world's first superpower. In the 20th century there were two: the USA and the USSR

Russia was controlling. Take a look at Russia's territory . Russia will also not be around in the next 4 thousand years in my opinion, despite their influential president Vladimir Putin stated: if there's no Russia in the world, then we don't need such world.
So? I already said that Russia isn't a superpower. Russia was only a superpower while it dominated the USSR. There are only two superpowers today: the USA and China.

Last edited:
Dec 2017
-------
Not in its current form. At best China has another generation of one-party authoritarian rule.

Yes it was. It exerted direct power all over the world from India to large chunks of Africa to Australia. In the 19th century Britain became the world's first superpower. In the 20th century there were two: the USA and the USSR

So? I already said that Russia isn't a superpower. Russia was only a superpower while it dominated the USSR. There are only two superpowers today: the USA and China.

Only recently British controlled north America but not entirely. POMs controlled Australia, New Zealand, Singapore (a city). India and Pakistan too (British India).

Chinese were around when we were not - the Indo-Europeans. Today, Chinese population is 1/3 of the world or maybe more. Shangai's populations is approximately to that of Australia. Beijing's and Shangai's populations are definitately larger than that of Australia's. Chinese economy is already the largest in the world. Chinese had a survival culture. I don't think will be around long after Chinese will be here.
PS I had a better opinion about Australians. My girl was a fair-dinkum Aussie from Melbourne studying MBBS in Melbourne University knowing everything there's to know. :)

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions