Is China destined to become a superpower?

Dec 2017
-------
I don't encourage to stop you watching mass media from USA, UK, Australia. Mate! Analyse news media present you. This may take a couple of minutes. There are things one may not find in the Russian media. Also, there are things are utter nonsense in Reuters, CNN, BBC, Foxnews, ABC Australia and alike.

Apr 2018
Upland, Sweden
Nope. It has been a regional power for thousands of years but not a global superpower. Britain was the worlds first superpower.
Maybe Spain was first though. But yeah, I agree Britain was cooler, and is a more clear cut example.

As for the question at hand - Yes. China seems almost certain to reclaim what it thinks is its rightful place as a "civilisation state" dominating all of East Asia. Partially this is because they are quite good at what they do, partially it is because the people running the West have done a really poor job of it for quite a long time and practically given their power and influence away in some cases.

I don't think China will have the same kind of dominant position the US has had though, especially not in the "soft power" sphere.

holoow

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Vilnius, Lithuania
Only recently British controlled north America but not entirely. POMs controlled Australia, New Zealand, Singapore (a city). India and Pakistan too (British India).

Chinese were around when we were not - the Indo-Europeans. Today, Chinese population is 1/3 of the world or maybe more. Shangai's populations is approximately to that of Australia. Beijing's and Shangai's populations are definitately larger than that of Australia's. Chinese economy is already the largest in the world. Chinese had a survival culture. I don't think will be around long after Chinese will be here.
PS I had a better opinion about Australians. My girl was a fair-dinkum Aussie from Melbourne studying MBBS in Melbourne University knowing everything there's to know. :)
Scratch European ( or Russian ), find a barbarian. Manners cannot make someone civilized, if he isn't civilized inside. Traditional Chinese culture is highly sophisticated and to compare Chinese civilization with some other is like comparing incomparable things.

May 2017
Hong Kong
A world superpower or not, China would remain a country of major importance in this world which other countries cannot ignore.

Apr 2019
India
yeah right, china must be bad evil being for indian like you right? you can not objective and fair assesment to china, so we will do the same thing on india.

many indian patriot on the internet bragging that india will be superpower in 2020 or 2030 or 2050, but all of it only utopia, you indian have no capability to fix your country properly, still have caste system despite at the same time bragging about world's largest democratic country on the planet (in term of population).

there is many world recognized chinese company, huawei are one of it.
Good heavens ! So indians are not even not allowed to dream !
Your ancestors used to think differently.

Apr 2018
Upland, Sweden
Scratch European ( or Russian ), find a barbarian. Manners cannot make someone civilized, if he isn't civilized inside. Traditional Chinese culture is highly sophisticated and to compare Chinese civilization with some other is like comparing incomparable things.
Is barbarism always that bad? The Greeks went from barbarian heroes to civilized geniuses to overripe decadent hipsters under Roman occupation in 500 years, and arguably accomplished just as much if not more than the Chinese of the time did - I'd say more, but how much more is debatable, cultures are unique etc. - in a shorter timeframe.

With that being said, I agree. China seems historically very civilized and developed, and is special because it has been so continuously.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
It always make me smirk that Russia is condemned for pretty much everything
while the infinitely less democratic China is given a pass
It's probably due to the power of habits

Reactions: NordicDemosthenes
Apr 2018
Upland, Sweden
It always make me smirk that Russia is condemned for pretty much everything
while the infinitely less democratic China is given a pass
It's probably due to the power of habits
Maybe also because quite a few of the people who decide who gets a pass or not have economic interests or constituents with economics interests in China...

Reactions: sparky