Is China destined to become a superpower?

Dec 2018
Cheyenne
China is already influencing the USA from Hollywood to the NBA. Hollywood films have to be careful what subject matter is inserted into their movies as to not get banned from the Chinese market, even inserting Chinese actors and having conflicts take place in China.

Recently an NBA GM for the Houston Rockets, perhaps one of the most popular teams in China because of Yao Ming said something supporting the Hong Kong protests on twitter. He was then promptly bombed by a bunch of bot accounts and the Chinese government is already pulling sponsorships from the NBA. Of course the NBA has been in grovel mode.

If capitalism remains the driving force of American markets, Chinese plurality in world power is inevitable.

Reactions: dukeofjive

heylouis

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
China
China is already influencing the USA from Hollywood to the NBA. Hollywood films have to be careful what subject matter is inserted into their movies as to not get banned from the Chinese market, even inserting Chinese actors and having conflicts take place in China.

Recently an NBA GM for the Houston Rockets, perhaps one of the most popular teams in China because of Yao Ming said something supporting the Hong Kong protests on twitter. He was then promptly bombed by a bunch of bot accounts and the Chinese government is already pulling sponsorships from the NBA. Of course the NBA has been in grovel mode.

If capitalism remains the driving force of American markets, Chinese plurality in world power is inevitable.
china is NOT influence US through such hollywood and nba

chinese people have a choice to pay money to which seller, within the chinese market.

the hollywood and nba can simply choose not to develop a chinese market.

their extension in china, on contrary to china influencing US, in fact is a proof that US influencing china.

that influence may suffer from loss, when hollywood and nba made wrong decisions in the market of china, by ignoring the purchaser's mind.

Dec 2013
Arkansas
Is China destined to become a superpower in terms of overall economic strength? China can basically equalize US GDP even if its per capita output is at Croatia levels or lower. Plus it seems to be following the state subsidized capital intensive infant industry model that Japan and Korea have done successfully.
Ever heard the saying

"China is the superpower of tomorrow."
"And always will be".

Oct 2019
Area Ocean
I believe that when you look at books and analyst reports leaked from china and going over the situations that have occurred their over the last 40 years up until present, China will not be a super power, at least in a modern sense.

China is actually a country that is artificially filling itself with air, but more air is blowing out than being pumped in, I expect like some of the analysts I've read, that China will implode in on itself when it gets to the peak, although some say they already passed that.

Many suggest that's why China more aggressive interest in Taiwan and Hong Kong, among other areas around China, has grown 10 fold.

Dec 2018
Cheyenne
china is NOT influence US through such hollywood and nba

chinese people have a choice to pay money to which seller, within the chinese market.

the hollywood and nba can simply choose not to develop a chinese market.

their extension in china, on contrary to china influencing US, in fact is a proof that US influencing china.

that influence may suffer from loss, when hollywood and nba made wrong decisions in the market of china, by ignoring the purchaser's mind.
Capitalism needs to expand and grow by finding new markets. China is the largest market on the planet. You cannot simply ask a capitalist to stop seeking profit. Its not in their nature. The NBA will lose hundreds of millions if China stops supporting the league. That is unacceptable to the type of men that run the NBA.

The Chinese government knows this.

Aug 2015
Los Angeles
Umm, what? There are major differences in lexycon, syntax and phonology between all major dialectal groupings.

I also have no idea what you mean by saying that they are spoken forms of one written language. This sentence makes zero sense, as the written language is the reflection of the spoken tongue, never the other way around. That the standard, formal language is uniform is normal, as it's necessary for interetence-less communication. However, spoken vernacular is a completely different beast.

What's more, differences in phonology are typically the feature on which basis language and dialectal groupings are based on. Lexycon is the part that's the most prone to variation, while syntax tends to be more resilent. Changes in morphology on the other hand are quite often a result of phonological processes occuring in the language.

You cannot just disregard linguistic differences by saying that the written language is the same. But even then, different dialects use their own grammatical particles and structures. Cantonese also has its own written standard, separate from the Mandarin one. Sichuanese and Shanghaiese have special characters not used in Mandarin at all, while Min dialects have readings which cannot be reliably connected to Old Chinese and most likely reflect some substratum languages.

And nail to the coffin, the ineligibility even inside dialectal groupings is quite low. Especially among highly divergent Min dialects. Shanghaiese and Wenzhouese are not kutually inteligible, neither are Cantonese and Toishanese. Mandarin dialects ate quite uniform, but differences between persons from Nanjing, Chengdu, Xining, and Beijing are outright noticeable, unless they speak perfect Putonghua.
Is syntax in the Chinese language different? I spoke Shanghai Canton and Mandarian, and I understand Hunan. I don't believe the syntax is different. As for lexicon, are you saying the words are different in various Chinese?

You cannot just disregard linguistic differences by saying that the written language is the same.
Yah that's not what I claim. I am saying if you want to say linguistically they are DIFFERENT you must show they are different. It's been a long while since I took my classes but if you want to show how a sentence structure in Hunan is DIFFERENT from Shanghai, I am all ears.

Cantonese also has its own written standard, separate from the Mandarin one. Sichuanese and Shanghaiese have special characters not used in Mandarin at all, while Min dialects have readings which cannot be reliably connected to Old Chinese and most likely reflect some substratum languages.
The difference between armor and armour?

I like to know which SPECIAL characters in Min or Canton reflect OLD CHINESE.

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
You claim there are linguistically variations, linguistically aren't the Chinese language following the same format?

I took my linguistics about 12 years ago but I do remember even if the language sounds different linguistically if you want to say they are dissimilar, you are going to have to show how the language in the Lu region are different from the Yue region in its structure. Given they are spoken form of the same written language, I am pretty sure you cannot do that.
You know very well of China uses Standard Written Chinese which is based on the official standard spoken Chinese, which is in itself loosely based on the Beijing spoken dialect.
Therefore, a Cantonese person normally will write in standard written Chinese and his writing won't be based on Cantonese language, but on Mandarin. There is a vernacular written Cantonese (there's also written Hakka, Hokkien and Shanghainese as well) but they are not officially recognized.
Irrespective of the dialect spoken by the individual, Chinese is almost always written in the manner of standard Chinese (Mandarin).

Chinese languages belong to the same family just like all Romance languages belong to the same family. All Chinese dialects follows the same written format, not exactly the same spoken format. When it comes to spoken language, Cantonese and a Shandong dialect are more mutually unintelligible than Portuguese when compared to Catalan. I speak Portuguese and Mandarin, I can find more similarities between Portuguese and Catalan than I could find between Mandarin and Cantonese, but according to European standards Catalans and Portuguese people belong to different ethnicities.

That's what i meant when I said "dissimilar", by that I meant "mutually unintelligible". Cantonese and Mandarin differ very much when it comes to pronunciation, grammar and lexicon. The sentence structure of Cantonese, like the placement of verbs, can differ from Mandarin as well.

Let me give you examples:

Mandarin (Simplified standard written Chinese): 我 现在 在 吃 饭。 Wo xianzai zai chi fan. (I/now/am -ing/eat/rice)
Cantonese (Traditional vernacular written Cantonese): 我 而家 食 緊 飯。 Ngo yiga sek gang fan. (I/now/eat/am -ing/rice)

Note: most Cantonese will write in standard written Chinese (Mandarin), but they would still use a completely different pronunciation which would be unintelligible to Mandarin speakers, even though the Chinese characters would be the same.

Then if you claim that it is culturally different, you too would have to show how they are culturally different. If you are saying someone from Shandong eats differently from someone in the south, sure, but if you are going to say they are culturall different? Culturally different how?

I am not arguing about minorities. You are making the claim that the sub-group of Han people are DIFFERENT. So I like to know different how.
Eating habits are also culture... and there are plenty of other cultural differences, one of them is the behavioral pattern of North China and Southern China are indeed different and can be quantified and studied very clearly - which they were by University of Chicago Booth School of Business:

Last edited:

HackneyedScribe

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
I thought politicians in democratic countries are supposed to "pander" to different segments of the population for votes. Why can't a business do the same thing? Or is it just Chinese people they shouldn't pander to?

Aug 2015
Los Angeles
You know very well of China uses Standard Written Chinese which is based on the official standard spoken Chinese, which is in itself loosely based on the Beijing spoken dialect.
Since we ALL know that standard written Chinese is the actual ya-ying or the cultural tongue until more modern day with usage of bai-hua or common speech, I don't know what else to say.

The Chinese language pattern itself is not base on the Beijing region dialect, unless you are claiming bai-hua is a Beijing only dialect. Written common speech itself was eceptionall popular along the coast in the last centuries for those of us who read them. Writers in HK are probably as influential if not more influential in the development of modern baihua.

Therefore, a Cantonese person normally will write in standard written Chinese and his writing won't be based on Cantonese language, but on Mandarin. There is a vernacular written Cantonese (there's also written Hakka, Hokkien and Shanghainese as well) but they are not officially recognized.
As someone who was growing up PRIOR to the PRC's attempt to force all kids to learn mandarin, and who left China in an early age, I know very well the written language in Shanghai. It is the same standard bai-hua all Chinese use today.

Sure, there are like a few words, probably less than 100 because I am too lay to count them all, but to say there are DIFFERENT vernacular written Chinese is insane.

wo yao chi fan
woo you qi fei

ni chi le ma
nong qi le va

The reflection of these are the same.

Irrespective of the dialect spoken by the individual, Chinese is almost always written in the manner of standard Chinese (Mandarin).
Chinese languages belong to the same family just like all Romance languages belong to the same family. All Chinese dialects follows the same written format, not exactly the same spoken format. When it comes to spoken language, Cantonese and a Shandong dialect are more mutually unintelligible than Portuguese when compared to Catalan. I speak Portuguese and Mandarin, I can find more similarities between Portuguese and Catalan than I could find between Mandarin and Cantonese, but according to European standards Catalans and Portuguese people belong to different ethnicities.
You are using the basis of a language to determine the ethnicity of people? I wasn't aware that's how people are divided.

That's what i meant when I said "dissimilar", by that I meant "mutually unintelligible". Cantonese and Mandarin differ very much when it comes to pronunciation, grammar and lexicon. The sentence structure of Cantonese, like the placement of verbs, can differ from Mandarin as well.

Let me give you examples:

Mandarin (Simplified standard written Chinese): 我 现在 在 吃 饭。 Wo xianzai zai chi fan. (I/now/am -ing/eat/rice)
Cantonese (Traditional vernacular written Cantonese): 我 而家 食 緊 飯。 Ngo yiga sek gang fan. (I/now/eat/am -ing/rice)

Note: most Cantonese will write in standard written Chinese (Mandarin), but they would still use a completely different pronunciation which would be unintelligible to Mandarin speakers, even though the Chinese characters would be the same.
They look different because they aren't saying the same thing.
而家 - 而今
而家 is same as 而今

So in Mandarin, if you want to write the EACT same sentence you would use the form
我如今 在吃饭
vs
我 而家 食 緊 飯
where
緊 is a regional usage for now.

Eating habits are also culture... and there are plenty of other cultural differences, one of them is the behavioral pattern of North China and Southern China are indeed different and can be quantified and studied very clearly - which they were by University of Chicago Booth School of Business:
Eating habits suggests that there was a choice. Rice in the north is not the same in the south. The Shangdong region does not get to chose to eat the 3 term rice in Jiangnan. Because they don't get to harvest three times a year. That's like saying English people eating potato because the potato is what grows are different from English people eating bread because wheat grows in other regions.

And then are behavior patterns a CULTURAL thing?

What is the definition of CULTURE then?

Are Jews from Russia a DIFFERENT CULTURE than Jews from the US?

heylouis

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
China
Capitalism needs to expand and grow by finding new markets. China is the largest market on the planet. You cannot simply ask a capitalist to stop seeking profit. Its not in their nature. The NBA will lose hundreds of millions if China stops supporting the league. That is unacceptable to the type of men that run the NBA.

The Chinese government knows this.
the nba expanded into china, so it is US capitalism influencing china, not the reversed direction.

any capital investment is accompanied with risk of failure, chinese are not responsible for an investment failure due to the misbehavior by investor which is understood in the chinese market. the current response is from chinese people, the nba ceos are misjudging the situation that they thought they can solve the issue by meeting with yao ming, whom they understood as a official chief of chinese basketball games, and representing official china gov somehow.

Last edited: