Is China really less free than the West?

Status
Closed

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
Well I am trying to keep up with my daughter who gets Chinese in school and in which she also learns about the English spelling of Chinese characters.
Let me share little I know on the subject. As @heylouis wrote it is 南京, because of their long history they have pretty large amount of capitals / the second character. Their different spellings are because of different Romanisation systems / Nanking is based on the old one used until 80's, whilst Nanjing is based on the current standard Romanisation system for Mandarin Chinese, so i presume it was Nanking during the infamous massacre, but it is Nanjing now.

HackneyedScribe

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
separatism is rarely successful even within open democracies. If China simply provided a good life for most Uighurs than the political will to become independent would diminish greatly.

And yes, it is my opinion that systems of oppression like the Jim Crow South should be overturned. This assumption is based off basic moral claims that exist across cultures.
They are not being compared under the same context. Let's say China had a history of supporting American separatist movements, to the point that they were successful enough to start an open rebellion. Let us say then that more recently separatists used WeChat to organize a riot that killed hundreds of people. When the US government wanted to work with WeChat to hunt down the perpetrators, WeChat refused. Under these circumstances, how much less would the United States tolerate these separatist movements that are now backed by China?

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
"If I say mean things that makes me a social pariah" vs "if I criticize the government I disappear, and so does my family if they ask questions". You really can't tell which one is worse? because in western democratic societies we certainly can tell you which one is worse. We can even tell it to the government.
Tell that to Assange or Snowden

Reactions: Stenka Razin

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Here's an experiment for you. Join Falun Gong for a month and then get back to me. Hopefully you'll still have all your organs.
How about trying to join the KKK or a nazi party in western Europe ? oops, they are banned...

So not sure what the falung gong example proves

Reactions: Stenka Razin

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
In China, you can openly demand bribes to do your job if you are a policeman, businessman, politician, mailman, truck driver.... in America, most folks would get fired for doing so.
Yes, bribe taking in the US is strictly reserved for politicians and c level (or sometime c minus 1) business persons.... you do not want too much competition in the bribe taking business , it brings prices down

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
China's Social Credit System is all you need to know about China's concerns about their citizen's freedom. This is truly a very scary concept that is being assisted unfortunately by some companies like GOOGLE.
This system is silly, but the chinese citizens dont seem to mind... Frankly the US credit scoring system is quite silly as well, but neither do US citizens (at least those who have a good credit score) seem to mind

Reactions: Sundiata1

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Just to be clear, are you claiming that the US has political prisoners? If you are, please provide some names of these people and their crimes.
Assange would be one.... and Snowden will be when/if he is brought to the US

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
No free formation of political opinion in China.

No rule or law.
I assume you mean "rule of law"..... that would be rather strange... no society can function without rules... so they have laws and they work.....

And they do have political opinions, it is just that the expression of dissenting opinions is even more controlled than in the west (where currently it is social death to be vocal with non politically correct opinions)

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
The thing is, separatism is rarely successful even within open democracies. If China simply provided a good life for most Uighurs than the political will to become independent would diminish greatly.
The scots are at it, trying to get a second referendum... The catalans are at it..... The czechs and slovaks already separated.... It is not clear what will happen to Belgium... These are just a few examples where democracy does not seem to have diminished the will for independence/separatism....

Reactions: At Each Kilometer
Status
Closed