Is Christianity a Greek religion clothed in Roman rituals?

no, the europeans like to claim every thing, if they want they would even claim the ancient egypt and its rulers were all white europeans.

christianity islam and judaism are very distinctly Semitic religions and strictly speaking canaaite religion and then an arab religion, they are all monotheistic religions, greek religion was polytheistic which the greeks abandoned and accepted semitic religion and spread all across europe, since greeks were fed up with their own religion and sophists, they took jesus christ.

the religion europeans follow is semitic and hence anti semitism which prevailed in europe, the jews were fed to the lions, and slaughtered badly by the romans, aryan theories were invented to show how europeans were racially superior to the Semites and how europeans invented original monotheism through ''indo european'' vedic texts.

i think that europeans fed up with roman cruelty took christianity to bring some solace to their souls and lives.

roman, greek religions are all from west asia as well, so we see the trend, the roman religion of mithra was originally also from india as well.

regards

Sep 2014
Texas
Is Christianity a Greek religion clothed in Roman rituals?

there are many similarities between Christianity and the Roman Mystery Cults, which can be assumed to be at least somewhat adopted from the Greeks as almost all Roman things were adapted from someone or another

Another point to consider is the politics of each time. Greeks lived in city-states, with no true monarch. They were a democracy of sorts, with councils of men deciding upon wars. Comparatively, Christianity arose during Roman times, primarily after the implementation of Roman Emperors, who possessed sole authority over the Empire. Christianity's progression followed the development of empires and kingdoms in Europe, which were ruled by leaders who held absolute power (and who, unlike in Ancient Greece, were not expected to confer with others on their decisions).

I sometimes wonder about this myself. Recent posts and threads here have renewed my speculative curiosity. I do not intend any offense to Christians or Christianity at large. I don't observe any irritation at the adoption and adaptation of Greek theology to Roman practice; however, the advent of Christianity remains a sensitive subject. I get the idea that Christianity, especially Catholicism, is rather heavily influenced by Roman paganism. Perhaps, even in a similar way that some say the Roman Empire never really fell, it just changed. In fact, I don't understand how one could argue that Catholicism (and hence Christianity) does not retain a core semblance to Roman paganism with it's constellation of saints, numerous relics, and ritual worship. Again, I don't want to provoke a battle of theologies, rather only to probe the possible, even likely relationships and connections that modern man and woman have to the not too distant ancient past. So what are your thoughts? Was Greek polytheism the scaffolding to Roman paganism and in turn is Roman paganism alive and well in modern Christianity? Or in other words, are we fools to wring our hands and debate over a perceived conflict of paganism versus Christianity when in truth, they may have shared a large grey area of overlap?
Zoroastrianism influenced Christianity from its baptism to fiery hell.

Sep 2014
Texas
no, the europeans like to claim every thing, if they want they would even claim the ancient egypt and its rulers were all white europeans.

christianity islam and judaism are very distinctly Semitic religions and strictly speaking canaaite religion and then an arab religion, they are all monotheistic religions, greek religion was polytheistic which the greeks abandoned and accepted semitic religion and spread all across europe, since greeks were fed up with their own religion and sophists, they took jesus christ.

the religion europeans follow is semitic and hence anti semitism which prevailed in europe, the jews were fed to the lions, and slaughtered badly by the romans, aryan theories were invented to show how europeans were racially superior to the Semites and how europeans invented original monotheism through ''indo european'' vedic texts.

i think that europeans fed up with roman cruelty took christianity to bring some solace to their souls and lives.

roman, greek religions are all from west asia as well, so we see the trend, the roman religion of mithra was originally also from india as well.

regards
Sorry but Mithra, Mitra, Midhir and Modi go back to before the split.

Sorry but Mithra, Mitra, Midhir and Modi go back to before the split.
sorry, i dont believe in proto thingy, you need hard evidences than proto religion, mitra first appears in vedas/india and also then in mitanni inscription, seems enough to me to characteristically exhibit indian divinity spreading west. even british museum curators embrace this fact now.

regards

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
"aryan theories were invented to show how europeans were racially superior to the Semites and how europeans invented original monotheism through ''indo european'' vedic texts" - all the many layers of historical and cultural misunderstanding in a single sentence like that would take two or three pages to analyse! A labyrinth of miapprehensions. As if anyone has ever claimed that Europeans "invented" monotheism through Vedic texts or anything else, or that because something is described as "Indo-European" it is therefore cliamed as being of European origin. That is rather like saying that because ancient Greek is an Indo-European language, it must have originated in India.

Mar 2015
Europe
If in fact Christianity was a Jewish religion then why is it that all the evidence - every last one of the earliest new testament manuscripts (codices and fragments) - attests to Koine Greek and not a Hebrew language?
And importantly, not Aramaic/Syriac either. Hebrew was a dead language spoken only by learned Jews, but Aramaic Syrian was live vernacular.
The Aramaic bible is early - but translations of the Koine originals.

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
If in fact Christianity was a Jewish religion then why is it that all the evidence - every last one of the earliest new testament manuscripts (codices and fragments) - attests to Koine Greek and not a Hebrew language?
Did Jews stop being Jewish when they conducted their religion and daily lives in Greek or Aramaic?

May 2011
Rural Australia
Did Jews stop being Jewish when they conducted their religion and daily lives in Greek or Aramaic?
It seems therefore that we are to seek out the existence of Jewish literary schools who produced and preserved (for centuries?) all their manuscripts in Greek. Moreover we seek a Jewish literary school which had, at a very early stage, deployed into their literature (including the LXX) a series of Greek abbreviations (nomina sacra) for terms such as God, Jesus, Christ, Spirit .... (more than a dozen). This novel step distinguished them from other Jewish literary schools who, in their Greek LXX manuscripts, did not use a plurality of "sacred name abbreviations", but used only the one (for "G-d"). [NB: AFAIK this is how Greek LXX mss are routinely classed as Christian or Jewish]

Conversely, Graeco-Roman literary schools producing Greek manuscripts abounded in the Roman Empire. It could just as easily be asked "Did Graeco-Roman literary schools stop being Graeco-Roman when they produced in Greek a story, and assorted documents, with a setting in Judaea?

BTW to what extent is the use of abbreviations in antiquity a Roman "ritual"?

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions