Is cultural Marxism even Marxism at all?

Nov 2014
ph
Is cultural Marxism fake Marxism? I mean cultural Marxism and the Frankfurt school is associated with hippies and SJW ideologiy. While economic Marxism is about abolishment of private property and wholesale elimination of capitalism, and the USSR was socially conservative, even more so in some areas than say, Iran. And social Marxism and SJW seems to have to problem allowing capitalists to make money, unlike economic Marxists, and in fact could be describe as an informal ideological alliance between social liberals and pro corporate capitalist conservatives, like Amazon and Starbucks. And compared to economic Marxism, cultural Marxism is inherently less disruptive to capitalism and making money.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
As for I remember from when I studied political economy, I would say that Marxism is a political, social and economical theory, while "cultural marxism" was and is for the ones who still follows it, a political, social and economical philosophy. I remember that someone in Italy defined the Frankfurt school a phisolophical club made by "communist idealists".

Recusant

Ad Honorem
Sep 2009
Sector N after curfew
The "Cultural Marxism" conspiracy theory fails to establish a fundamental link between the Frankfurt School and movements that the conspiracy theorists claim to be expressions of "Cultural Marxism." Opposition to racism, the women's rights movement, the gay rights movement and efforts to promote social equality in general do not have their roots in the Frankfurt School and in most cases precede its ideas by at least several decades.

Attempts to "blame" the existence and success of such movements on the Frankfurt School are historically illiterate. "Cultural Marxism" is an illusory bogey-man promoted for political ends, hearkening back to the kulturbolsjevism of the Nazis.

It's not so much "fake Marxism" as it is a fake, full stop.

Last edited:

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Isn't much of the social issues of today's SJWs implicit in the economic theory of Marx? The abolition of private property implies a redistribution of wealth. This so called equality can be easily translated to social issues of supposed equality of outcomes (notice I did not write opportunity).

Recusant

Ad Honorem
Sep 2009
Sector N after curfew
Isn't much of the social issues of today's SJWs implicit in the economic theory of Marx? The abolition of private property implies a redistribution of wealth. This so called equality can be easily translated to social issues of supposed equality of outcomes (notice I did not write opportunity).
Certainly Cultural Marxism is a convenient rhetorical club with which to beat on the dreaded "SJW" but its relation to reality is problematic at best. The reality is that there is no conspiracy initiated by commie Jews to overthrow the righteous Christian capitalist system by means of civil rights movements. If in the interest of convenient rhetoric we're going to ignore the history of these movements that have striven (and continue to strive) for social equality, we might as well claim that the Lincoln was promoting Cultural Marxism when he issued the Emancipation Proclamation.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Certainly Cultural Marxism is a convenient rhetorical club with which to beat on the dreaded "SJW" but its relation to reality is problematic at best. The reality is that there is no conspiracy initiated by commie Jews to overthrow the righteous Christian capitalist system by means of civil rights movements. If in the interest of convenient rhetoric we're going to ignore the history of these movements that have striven (and continue to strive) for social equality, we might as well claim that the Lincoln was promoting Cultural Marxism when he issued the Emancipation Proclamation.
I didn't know that cultural Marxism and the SJW equate to "commie Jews." Is that really so? Furthermore, I was unaware that capitalism equates to the "righteous Christians." Perhaps you can enlighten me? Finally, to argue that the Emancipation Proclamation equates with cultural Marxism is an analogy that, frankly, I don't get. It seems some think that any form of justice must come exclusively from cultural Marxists. Funny how cultural Marxism has basically been a failure and rejected. Maybe the world just isn't smart enough, eh? So, is it safe to say that cultural Marxism is about equality of outcome and not opportunity?.

Oct 2013
Europix
I didn't know that cultural Marxism and the SJW equate to "commie Jews." Is that really so? Furthermore, I was unaware that capitalism equates to the "righteous Christians." Perhaps you can enlighten me? Finally, to argue that the Emancipation Proclamation equates with cultural Marxism is an analogy that, frankly, I don't get. It seems some think that any form of justice must come exclusively from cultural Marxists. Funny how cultural Marxism has basically been a failure and rejected. Maybe the world just isn't smart enough, eh? So, is it safe to say that cultural Marxism is about equality of outcome and not opportunity?.
I have the impression that You might have missred Reucusant's post: " ... The reality is that there is no conspiracy initiated by commie Jews to overthrow the righteous Christian capitalist system by means of civil rights movements. ... "

Jun 2016
England, 200 yards from Wales
Most people I suspect have a personal degree of acceptance of some level of social justice (who loves injustice?), some form of equality (outcome, opportunity, 'before the law'?), and Isn't "cultural Marxism" basically a description of a degree of social justice/equality etc that goes a bit further than the speaker is happy with?

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
I have the impression that You might have missred Reucusant's post: " ... The reality is that there is no conspiracy initiated by commie Jews to overthrow the righteous Christian capitalist system by means of civil rights movements. ... "
Thank you. I apologize. I thought the reply was sarcasm. I am too literal at times and often misread other cues. I have self diagnosed myself to be asperger's. :confused: