Is death more welcome than perpetual torture?

May 2013
The abode of the lord of the north
Say you're being subjected to perpetual, ruthless and excruciating torture by your oppressors. You're convinced there is virtually no chance you can escape their dungeons. Would you kill yourself if you get a chance? Is killing oneself ever justified in such a scenario?

Jul 2016
USA
Would you kill yourself if you ever were in such a scenario?
If I had the means, probably. What point is continuing to live going to do? Even if there was an end in sight, like they said "We're only going to torture you for 3 years and then you're free." That is still neverending when your pain receptors are firing off like christmas lights. Every person has a breaking point, when they reach it, they reach it.

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
I pray I would have the strength not to commit suicide in that scenario, and that no religious extremists of the atheist persuasion would try to force me to do so. Of course, they should just kill me themselves if they felt so strongly about it.
Seriously, Dan Howard, the hypo said nothing about religious extremists, so let’s leave them out going forward.

Last edited:
Aug 2014
Australia
It is religious extremists who promote the "right to life" nonsense. It is religious extremists who prevent a woman from deciding whether she wants to continue with her own pregnancy or not. It is religious extremists who try to stop a terminally ill person from ending their own suffering. It is a deeply private and personal decision and nobody else has any right to even express an opinion.

May 2013
The abode of the lord of the north
It is religious extremists who promote the "right to life" nonsense. It is religious extremists who prevent a woman from deciding whether she wants to continue with her own pregnancy or not. It is religious extremists who try to stop a terminally ill person from ending their own suffering. It is a deeply private and personal decision and nobody else has any right to even express an opinion.
Well yes. But I'm not at all talking in a religious context. Still, should we completely leave the right to kill oneself to that person? Say he is depressed and wants to commit suicide. Isn't it more logical to try and cure his depression rather than letting him die?

Jul 2016
USA
Well yes. But I'm not at all talking in a religious context. Still, should we completely leave the right to kill oneself to that person? Say he is depressed and wants to commit suicide. Isn't it more logical to try and cure his depression rather than letting him die?
You're going to try to regulate the right if people kill themselves? Why is that your business?

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Would you kill yourself if you ever were in such a scenario?
I have always told my family that if i found myself becoming demented through hardening of the arteries, thatI would leave. Similarly, if I developed a cancer where chemo therapy could extend life but not cure. If you think that's strange, familiarise yourself with the side effects of chemo therapy.

I made those statements of intent whenI was about 35. The older I get, the less certain I am about just how fiercely I would cling to life.

Although I never criticise any person for suicide, I think I won't really know how I would act until finding myself in such a position.

I think the key word is 'hope'. To me, a basic truth of suicide, for any reason, is the loss of hope. Such a loss will often lead to despair. THAT is why Catholics {at least] consider suicide such a great sin; it infers despair, which means to reject God, the greatest of all sins,. BUT I was taught there is no such thing as an unforgivable sin. Some Protestants disagree, which is their right.

Addendum: I completely support the notion of legalising assisted suicide. Yet another area in which believers impose their beliefs on the rest of society

Similar History Discussions