Is death more welcome than perpetual torture?

May 2013
The abode of the lord of the north
I'd rather never know for sure. But from what I've read, yes. Absolutely. 'They' can make you confess to anything, do anything, with torture. In some Christian thought there is the idea that Hell is an annihition of a person rather than perpetual torture, so that tells to me that there is a tendency to see torture as worse than death.
Tortures needn't necessarily for confession. It can be also because the one who tortures you is just mentally sick.

May 2013
I agree that those others are not the same sort of act as murder, but suicide is the same sort of act as murder—-both take a life. One just happens to be your own.
Okay.
Do you consider taking physical suffering for others to be a good thing? Well according to what you said it isn't. It is a body and a mind that is being put to abject stress. They just happen to be yours.

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Okay.
Do you consider taking physical suffering for others to be a good thing? Well according to what you said it isn't. It is a body and a mind that is being put to abject stress. They just happen to be yours.
See my comment 95–if my suffering prevented worse suffering by others, then it would be a good thing, everything else being equal

May 2013
See my comment 95–if my suffering prevented worse suffering by others, then it would be a good thing, everything else being equal
So if YOU believe your suffering cancels out/ prevents worse future-sufferings of others, then suffering is justified. Good

People suicide because of many reasons. Amongst, one is a feeling that they are a total bothering to everyone and their existence brings only misery to everyone around him. So is killing oneself for this reason justified according to you? You're saving others from misery by killing yourself.

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
So if YOU believe your suffering cancels out/ prevents worse future-sufferings of others, then suffering is justified. Good

People suicide because of many reasons. Amongst, one is a feeling that they are a total bothering to everyone and their existence brings only misery to everyone around him. So is killing oneself for this reason justified according to you? You're saving others from misery by killing yourself.
No. The reason you posit is much too abstract to justify my killing myself. I believe that my life is in God’s hands and will end when God wills it. Until then, I believe I still have some purpose here on earth, although that purpose may be hidden from me.

Last edited:

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
Is this the god that causes church buses to crash killing children on board, allows daughters to be raped on the corpses of their dead mothers, or kills people with collapsing churches during earthquakes:
A Fatal Quake Shatters Fresco In Assisi Shrine
allows us to develop the means to obliterate the planet and the other animals on it? Not my god, and I don't care what he thinks. You are brought into this mess without your consent; you have the right to leave it. The greatest thing our species could do is get rid of these ancient outdated memes that have caused so much misunderstanding, misery and destruction.
It sounds like ideas from Paul Henri Thiery's Good Senses.

Angelica

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Angel City
Say you're being subjected to perpetual, ruthless and excruciating torture by your oppressors. You're convinced there is virtually no chance you can escape their dungeons. Would you kill yourself if you get a chance? Is killing oneself ever justified in such a scenario?
No....Hypothetically speaking.....If you are convinced there is no possible chance of escape you can convince yourself to find a way to escape. It is not over until it is over even if the curtain falls life brings hope. I am of the opinion torture kills slowly giving up kills quickly. When it is bad for you it is worst for someone else

Similar History Discussions