Is dressing up as a different culture (Native Indian, Mexican, etc) actually a big problem?

Aug 2019
USA
I never understood that. I'm Arab, and last year for Halloween at my college I saw a guy dressing up as the stereotype type Arab, dressing duly in Arab cultural clothing. I saw that and didn't mind, in fact I even smiled a bit knowing he actually wore real traditional Arab clothing. But then later I hear that apparently the administration told him to get out of those clothes cause its deemed inappropriate. Same thing happens when people wear Mexican stuff or Native Indian clothing, or pretty much any other culture. Why is this such a big deal? Am I just not taking this very seriously?

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Its not a big deal at all for sane people...

Its just one of the many tools being used as part of identity politics ...... the new trend is to say that "cultural appropriation" is bad

Cultural appropriation is denounced by a vocal minority when a person deemed to be "white" opens a mexican or ethopian restaurant, but if a mexican or ethiopian opens a french restaurant, that is fine... Its all part of the theme that racism is a "white man's" thing.... and everyone else can do no wrong

Cultural appropriation - Wikipedia

Portland Burrito Cart Closes After Owners Are Accused Of Cultural Appropriation | HuffPost

Portland Burrito Cart Closes After Owners Are Accused Of Cultural Appropriation

In your case the admin told the guy not to dress as such because they are afraid that a vocal minority will create a fuss over this....

There are signs that perhaps a backlash is starting against this kind of nonsense, Gillette for example lost $8 billion after it starting playing the polically correct / identity politics card in its adds

Gillette Loses Billions After Shaming Men in Ad Campaign
Gillette’s infamous “toxic masculinity” ad may cost Procter & Gamble more than anyone imagined in January.
the year that Gillette launched its “We Believe” campaign and asked “Is this the best a man can get?” has coincided with P&G’s $8 billion non-cash writedown for the shaving giant.

Aug 2019
United States
People are free to dress how they want but people are also free to feel/react whatever way they want. Dressing up in a different cultural attire isn't an issue to me if it's done out of respect, a lot of times people dress up in other cultural attires to mock those cultures - Halloween isn't a day to honor another cultural dress, if anything it implies that the attire is "scary".

antocya

Ad Honorem
May 2012
Iraq
I can see why it would bother people if someone was dressed up as an offensive stereotype but simply dressing up in clothes from another culture should not offend anyone.

Similar History Discussions