Is dressing up as a different culture (Native Indian, Mexican, etc) actually a big problem?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I never understood that. I'm Arab, and last year for Halloween at my college I saw a guy dressing up as the stereotype type Arab, dressing duly in Arab cultural clothing. I saw that and didn't mind, in fact I even smiled a bit knowing he actually wore real traditional Arab clothing. But then later I hear that apparently the administration told him to get out of those clothes cause its deemed inappropriate. Same thing happens when people wear Mexican stuff or Native Indian clothing, or pretty much any other culture. Why is this such a big deal? Am I just not taking this very seriously?
As long as one doesn't do an offensive stereotype on purpose, people really shouldn't complain about this. I mean, for goodness sake, am I not allowed to wear a sombrero hat while eating sushi, pizza, and Jarlsberg cheese and while listening to the Numa Numa Song? By doing all of these activities, I am culturally appropriating Mexicans, Japanese, Italians, Swedes/Scandinavians, and Romanians/Moldovans.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I once dressed (as best as I could manage) as an Achaemenid Persian solider for a fancy dress party, everyone thought I was Aladdin from the Disney film. As a consequence, I spent the night drinking heavily, ironically with some Greek mates.

Not attempted to dress as a different culture since.
Did you also do anything else with them that night? ;)

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
Big problem? No. I can see if some people take offense on some of the costumes that are more of a caricature of an original attire, but 1. have to develop thicker skin, 2. generally i would rather take it as a compliment if a characteristic feature of my cultural heritage gains a wider appreciation.
And I think overall "cultural appropriation" is more of a positive than a negative thing. Long live fusion cuisine! Though there are some things that annoy me, for example why younger people started to have halloween parties here... but let this be the worst thing that happens.. If somebody seriously worry about "cultural appropriation" (like some of the Native American tribal orgs apparently?) that shows the problem is in "their culture" , that it lost its ability to adapt, innovate and revitalize itself.

Dec 2015
USA
No op , People can dress however they want. As humans we’re all one big family anyways. All the time I see all sorts of diversity and fashion living in United States you see it everywhere. Any sort of diversity you can imagine we have it in America in every state. Especially in Las Vegas where the fashion styles are just amazingly diverse

Similar History Discussions